Author Topic: Mazda 6 GH 2009 front ride height measurement  (Read 3180 times)

Offline rats200

• S Class
  • Colour: Graphite Mica (38R) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Mazda 6 GH 2009 front ride height measurement
« on: October 12, 2020, 08:48:14 pm »
HI,

Does anybody know what the standard front ride height should be for the GH 2009 estate sport?

I replaced the front upper control arms at the weekend and both sides have been replaced. I have a concern now as I was looking in to replacing the lower control arms online and found in a couple of videos I watched it seems you should adjust the suspension to the correct ride height before tightening all bolts that go through bushes. They used a jack to lift it up loading the shocks and then measured between the top of the wheel arch and the centre of the hub nut (driveshaft nut). So I am worried my suspension geometry is out as i did not consider this when fitting my front upper control arms. I would like to check it to be certain all is as it should be and I am not going to cause other issues.
I don't seem to be able to access the manuals in the forum so can't see if it is stated in there. Maybe somebody with a bit more computer savvy knows if it is written in there?

Thanks,

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
Re: Mazda 6 GH 2009 front ride height measurement
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 02:26:52 pm »
So basically you say that if you load the suspension, then the suspension parts will be at the right place, which means that then, you can remove and add parts without changing the alignment.

It is a good theory, but how can you be sure that the alignment was already good? Or that the car was already stock? Just replace all the parts you need to replace and then do a proper alignment.

The alignment is a sensitive thing and so you need good tyres and proper pressures. But you drive down a bombarded lane and it is all over the place again. That is why it is a frequent maintenance job.

Offline rats200

• S Class
  • Colour: Graphite Mica (38R) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 06:07:38 pm »
I would like to know what the car is setup as stock.
I definitely don't know if it was set to the correct height. I did not measure before I started so will never know but would like to set it up as it is standard. To do a proper alignment then there must be some measurements to align to? What is used as reference to align from. I agree that it is easily changed through driving but would be nice to know it as good as I can make it. I am planning to get the wheel alignment done by a garage with the correct equipment after this.
Please look at this guide for an older Mazda 6 if it is OK to share on this board. Apologies if not and I will remove if there is a problem.
http://www.happywrenching.com/mazda/6/mazda-6-front-lower-rear-control-arm-replacement-removal-and-installation.html

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 04:12:43 pm »
The height is defined by the springs.

You cannot adjust the height by the control arms. You cut the springs or fit shorter springs and you have reduced height. You add taller springs or spacers and you increase the height.

The alignment is done on the computer. You enter the car details, the system measures the actual car and then you adjust it based on the original spec.

Check this:
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/diagnosing-car-problems/body/car-realigned1.htm

You cannot align the car by yourself. You can, but it is questionnable result.

Chech this specification:
http://www.mazda6info.net/front_wheel_alignment-1044.html

And you need the same for the rear axle.

If you send it over the garage, then job done. He will do it for you regardless of how bad it is now.