Author Topic: 2018 "PCM Reprogramming Campaign"?  (Read 218 times)

Offline PanPilot

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2014
2018 "PCM Reprogramming Campaign"?
« on: September 08, 2018, 03:16:47 pm »
While my 2014 2.2D was in for MOT, it also had a 'Powertrain Control Module update'. I suspect it may be to do with the new 2018 EU emission regs... does anyone know anything about it?

Offline apav

• Takara Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: 2018 "PCM Reprogramming Campaign"?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 01:47:09 pm »
New standards are only for new cars. So it must be something else like a regular update. Moreover, as the government will Brexit, there is no need to comply with EU law after the cliff jump. So it will be extreme to make the older cars comply.

Offline Flying Buttress

• S Class
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 12:25:44 pm »
I had a letter about this in August.

"Your vehicle is now required to be installed with the very latest and improved engine calibration software. Software will also be installed to enhance the accelerator response as well as provide engine noise reduction".

This stinks of dieselgate - Mazda aren't going to be offering a free improvement in accelerator reponse and noise reduction, are they? So has anybody else had this done?

Offline apav

• Takara Class
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 11:23:25 am »
It is law compliance. So they have to do it for free.

You do not have to do it if you believe that it will make the car worse. With the VW cars, there was (questionable?) evidence that made the cars worse.

You could wait to find out whether the same happens with the Mazda cars. But Mazda does not sell a lot of cars and so it will be harder to get the same evidence.

As these letters are sent by the Mazda Europe, you do not have to worry about them after the Brexit. They may not even do that at all from that point or they may charge for it.

As Mazda was never offically caught cheating, there is a good chance that the software will not make the car worse. If you do not plan to keep the car for some time, you can forget about it and let the next owner to decide what to do.

Offline Flying Buttress

• S Class
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 03:25:00 pm »
I guess I'll have to take one for the team, then!

Offline apav

• Takara Class
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 10:21:18 am »
Basically the phone companies have been caught red handed sabotaging old phones but so far there is nothing about car companies. Maybe if people serviced their cars at the dealers, they could sabotage them to sell the new model, but it is a bit extreme.

Offline alan33

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 01:10:31 pm »
Hi I received the update letter went along having first noted my MPG over the past 200 and also the other trip showing 3000 plus miles and now after the upgrade I am getting better MPG over around town driving as I have not carried out any long trips since the update :)
I love to drive my car but has too many issues