Author Topic: Lousy paint and bird poo damage  (Read 258 times)

Offline Austin

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2016
Lousy paint and bird poo damage
« on: July 02, 2018, 02:20:02 pm »
Hi Guys,

I’m getting really annoyed with how crappy the paint seems to be on my 2016 SportNav 175.  I’ve always loved Mazda’s and this is my third that I’ve been lucky enough to own since new.  I tend to buy new and keep them for about 10 years so keeping them tidy for a long future is important to me.  As others have said, this one seems to stone chip and scratch so easily.  I only do low miles so it spends most of it’s time on the drive but every day I check it for bird poo and carefully wipe it off.

I was away for a few days recently and got back to find a few bird poos. I did a proper wash with quality car shampoo, 2 bucket method, mitt, and microfibre clothes lie usual, but now it seems like these few bird poos, that were on for a few days, have knackered up the paint on my roof and eaten through. 

I am really annoyed by this. My girlfriends Jaguar XE is a year older, does loads more mileage, and gets hit by the same bird poos but her paint seems far more robust than mine.

Any thoughts on if I’d have any luck on getting the dealer to fix this or am I going to have to just live with this and invest in a decent polisher/compound/was set up and try and deal with this myself.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Aust

Offline aeroadster

• TS Class
  • 6 SL estate
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Re: Lousy paint and bird poo damage
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 02:35:15 pm »
Sorry to hear the bad news.

[url]https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/buying/warranty[url]

You should be covered by the paint and anti-corrosion warranty.

I would recommend applying a hard wax at least twice a year, and ideally every 3 months.

You can't escape paint chips, it's often down to bad luck.  Even a good hard wax can't prevent the inevitable, but it can help.

Offline Austin

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 03:00:39 pm »
Thanks for the prompt reply aeroadster,

I guess my worry is that they’ll say this is not a corrosion issue, as in the bodywork metal has not gone rusty, and therefore fob me off.  I’ll wait and get a bit more feedback here before I then go and approach them.

And yes, you;re right what you’re saying about stonechips. No one can help those but depending on the thickness and quality of the paint and the topcoat, some paint will resist lighter stone attacks than others (a hard stone chip will of course penetrate all paintwork).  It’s this variability that concerns me.  I drive this car on the same few regular routes that I drove my last Mazda (and that my girlfriend drives her car on) but this particular car seems to be gathering damage at a far more noticeable rate.  This, and the bird poo damage, and other things I’ve read on here, is what makes me worry that they have just cut costs and done a really cheap paint job on recent cars (despite me still paying a lot of additional money (almost £600 I think) to go from white to black paint.

Thanks again for your reply. Fingers crossed that Mazda will respond well eh!

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 04:13:05 pm »
Sorry to hear that you are experiencing these problems, but to be blunt Mazda will listen and then say sorry.   This is their line of defence taken from the following page  https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/buying/warranty/

New Vehicle Warranty for 3 years or  60,000 miles whichever comes first
Paint and Surface Corrosion Warranty on body sheet metal panels against surface corrosion for 3 years regardless of mileage
Anti-Perforation Warranty on body sheet metal panels against perforation due to corrosion for 12 years regardless of mileage The benefit of transferring the Manufacturer’s Warranty to subsequent owners.

I have previously had occasion to challenge Mazda over surface rust and thin paint.  ( and this is on a 2004  Gen 1 Mazda 3)   Despite my arguments they insisted that because the rust had quote "not perforated the metal"  then I could not claim against their warranty.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline Austin

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 11:54:13 pm »
Thanks for the reply Willpower

Yes, I’m guessing that they’re going to try hiding behind the specific wording of the warranty but as far as I’m concerned, for me to have blistering through to the metal on an 18 month old car is totally unacceptable.  If this is from bird poo that has been on there for just a few days whilst I was away, what on earth am I supposed to do if I’m away longer?  They can’t honestly expect me to put a full cover over my car every time I’m away for more than 72 hours.  I didn’t have to on my previous 2 Mazda’s so I don’t see why I should just accept that my current car is going to look screwed as the years go on just because they wanted to cut cost on paint.

I’m taking in to Mazda Gloucester on Friday morning so I’ll let you guys know how I get on.

Offline apav

• Sport Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 06:02:11 am »
If it is blistering, they will fix it.

What I have noticed on mine that all this bird dirt, just makes the paint less shiny at that section. It may go away with paint care products. If you wash the whole car, it does not appear to be that noticeable.

If it turns out to be only cosmetic, then you have to live with it. When the car becomes 10 years and want to sell it, the paint will not affect its value.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 06:14:11 am »
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline Austin

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 06:30:36 pm »
Blistered for sure.  A number of places are like this.  I can’t believe that it was fine this time last week. Fingers crossed for when I see Mazda Gloucester later this week.

Admin Note  :   Please read this    http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=1846.0   Specifically the 1st  reply       Thank you  :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:52:44 pm by Willpower »

Offline Austin

• S Class
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 05:32:24 pm »
Sorry Admin! I only joined a few days ago so I never saw anything prior to this about not uploading photos.

I did join just to get help with this issue but I can see there is a lot of useful stuff on here and it seems like a decent bunch of guys (and girls presumably) so I’ll keep using this site.

Have a good evening everyone  :)