Author Topic: MPG Good or Bad?  (Read 12118 times)

Offline nickc40

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
MPG Good or Bad?
« on: October 12, 2011, 04:31:42 pm »
I have a 2004 Mazda 6 2.0 TS Diesel (121) with 107000 miles on the clock. Recently however i have notice my MPG dwindling and i'm getting less miles per tank. after filling up 3 tanks i'm getting a average MPG of 37.03 In your experience do you guys think this is bad? I'm sure just a few months ago i was getting at least 45mpg. I know it does come down top driving style a lot of the time but I like to think mine is quite good, a mixture of motorway and city driving but mainly motorway and i never usually go over 2500rpm. What do you guys think?

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
Re: MPG Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:27:10 am »
it would seem ok for slow town driving, but over longer distances 35 is pretty poor. to put it into perspective, mine is the 143, and last week, over a very steady motorway drive of about 200 miles, i averaged just under 65mpg using the v power diesel. on the regular diesel, i did the same drive and got about 57mpg, so compared to yours, im doing nearly double... mine has 82k.

maybe it needs a good service, as in injectors cleaning, and would it benifit from a few good hard runs now and again? i know a lot of other diesels certainly do.

Offline tuckstar

• TS Class
  • bang tidy
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:06:31 am »
hi ive got 03 diesel 121hp on 105k with fsh, get about 45 to the gallon bit more with v power, about extra 70 miles a tank. Mostly mway driving but i tend not to hang about!!! These cars need regular servicing, every 12k. Hope its some thing to compare against.
go hard or go home!!

Offline stewarta13wsb

• S Class
    • home page
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 09:58:42 pm »
I'd say that duff! I'm averaging 34 with a 2.5 PETROL estate  :)
Stewart

Offline Dadawg

• S Class
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 06:08:12 pm »
Just done a 560 round mile trip in a 2.5 petrol, with aircon on and cruise set at 75, drove suring the day so not that much stop/start on the motorways, i have return 40.3 using V+, mind you was bummed at 150p a litre on the M6, as trip computer said i had 90miles in tank, and sat nav said 100 miles. Normaly pottering round driving gets just 29-30 depending on how often i reset the computer. Would expect more than 37 in a diesel.

Regards

Offline tuckstar

• TS Class
  • bang tidy
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 04:38:56 pm »
dont trust the trip computer!!! On the old forum several people fell foul after thinking they had between 80 and 130 miles left to go then ran out!!! No fun in a diesel!! Only true way is fill tank up reset trip then on next fill see how many litres you need to fill it again. Approx 4.5 litres to a gallon. 9L per 100miles is eqivilant to 50mpg.
go hard or go home!!

Offline Dadawg

• S Class
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 06:39:50 pm »

the trip computer was not the issue, i just use that as a rough guide, the issue was 150.9p a litre for petrol

Offline Rob

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Celestial Blue Mica (38J) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 11:58:38 pm »

the trip computer was not the issue, i just use that as a rough guide, the issue was 150.9p a litre for petrol

Jesus thats nearly £7 a gallon we will all be going by horseback before the end of the century lol!

Offline stewarta13wsb

• S Class
    • home page
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 07:51:50 pm »
dont trust the trip computer!!! On the old forum several people fell foul after thinking they had between 80 and 130 miles left to go then ran out!!! No fun in a diesel!! Only true way is fill tank up reset trip then on next fill see how many litres you need to fill it again. Approx 4.5 litres to a gallon. 9L per 100miles is eqivilant to 50mpg.

I don't, mine was worked out exactly on every fill up for the first year, and actually I found that it matched the cars computer average exactly too  :)
Stewart

Offline daddio58

• S Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 04:41:52 pm »
I,m halfway through a tankful of diesel topped up with Comma Diesel magic,its supposed to clean the injectors and is also a cetane booster,so far so good,quieter engine better response and better mileage(though its a bit early for  a definitive reading).At £6 to do a 60 litre tankful it could well be worth a try.You can go on the Comma website for your nearest stockist

Offline tuckstar

• TS Class
  • bang tidy
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 05:50:01 pm »
comma stuf 10p per litre of diesel, v power 7-8p more per litre, do you use standard diesel? Does v power do the same job cheaper? Just a thought. ;)
go hard or go home!!

Offline daddio58

• S Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 06:25:17 pm »
I bought the deisel magic as a one off,as it is mainly an injector cleaner,seems to be working as my DPF is going for longer between regens and is taking less time

Offline SRRAE

• S Class
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 11:03:51 am »
I found my diesel would vary a lot depending on what type of driving and how you drive.

Lots of motorway I have averaged 53 mpg.
I have had periods where its nearly been around town driving and averaging anything from 35-30 mpg.

Even simple adjustments in driving style makes a big difference with this car.
Letting off and allowing the car to roll up to lights instead of still driving and braking hard.
Plan a head, change lanes on the motorway etc. before you have to adjust your speed when catching up to the car in front and having to floor it to over take.

I noticed a difference of about 5-10 mpg with focusing on these simple aspects of driving.