Author Topic: An Unfortunate Series of Events  (Read 8716 times)

Offline johnbb99

• S Class
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica (42A)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2015
An Unfortunate Series of Events
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:56:36 am »
I was driving my 63 plate 6 diesel on the motorway when I felt it pulling (accelerating) once or twice. A little later I changed gear and the revs spun all the way round to max as I dipped the clutch. Both events were not normal, of course, but without thinking clearly about it I put it down to the engine doing the 'clean the DPF' routine. (With hindsight, I know it would never do that when clearing the DPF.)
Some time later, the 'low oil pressure' warning message appeared, and I pulled off the A road onto parking very soon. I checked the dipstick, and there was no sign of oil there, and no oil on the ground below the engine. I put in the litre I was carrying, but still none showed on the dipstick.  When the recovery man turned up we put in another 4 litres - that put it on the dipstick! So, by the time I stopped there was either no, or virtually no, oil left in the engine.
As the car was still under warranty, and after investigation by a Mazda dealer, Mazda UK agreed to replace the turbocharger at no charge, but were not paying for any further investigation or replacement of other parts.
I felt that any engine that has run without oil is liable to fail catastrophically at some point in the future, and so did not want the car back. Eventually I came to an arrangement with the supplying dealer who is in Oldham [far from me] to buy it back, though he would not pay me more than £1000 less than the trade would expect me to pay for one of the same age and mileage. I was forced to accept this deal, as I could not prove that the failed turbo had caused the loss of oil, or that there was subsequent damage to the engine (although I personally have no doubt that both are true).
Having subsequently driven my new replacement with the same engine, I am aware there was a noise from the previous car that should not have been there, which I think was the turbo, as it came and went sort-of_but_not_exactly with the engine revs. (I did wonder if Mazda had added a noise on purpose to 'make it sound better' , at the time. The noise was not high-pitched, like the whine you hear from some turbos.)
So if you drive a diesel-engined model, and hear a noise related to the engine, but not the engine, or see smoke from your exhaust, start worrying!
If you feel the engine pull or rev without you using the throttle, I recommend you pull over immediately, and switch off!!
What has really pissed me off, is that Mazda UK would not help make up the difference if I bought second- hand (from the dealer who supplied the car), and only contributed a paltry £500 to the purchase of a brand new car from my local dealer.
The car in question is a dark blue SEL NAV Tourer, with about 50,000 on the clock, and the bag-hanger hook on the offside of the boot is missing. It had the registration Lima Tango 63 Lima Juliet Alpha - the last time I saw it.
Beware.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: An Unfortunate Series of Events
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:08:33 am »
Sounds like the early stages of a classic Diesel engine runaway ...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine_runaway

The noises you were hearing were a symptom of the seals breaking down.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline johnbb99

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 09:57:45 am »
Indeed.
Thanks for posting the wiki link. Perhaps I should have advised, in the event of worrying symptoms, to pull over and stall the engine.

Offline vitesse

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 06:42:12 am »
I read so many horrific stories about Mazda diesels. Is it just that Mazda are really not experienced enough with diesel engine design? News yesterday suggests that new car sales in the UK are showing a decline in diesel orders; the VAG scandal is partly to blame but concerns about particulate and Nitrous Oxide pollution also figure. I was ready to but a 2.2 diesel until I read more about Mazda problems. I remember when I bought my 07 2.3 Sport 6 years ago there was loads of discussion about DPF problems. I am seriously surprised that so many years later the same discussions are happening now, with turbo and timing chain problems to boot. Very un-Japanese!

Offline johnbb99

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 08:51:23 am »
The problem with forums [fora ?] is that you get to hear all the bad stories, of course.
I seem to remember mazda 6 diesels topping the Which? reliability table ( data from real owners, and can be quite a large sample) not long ago.
all makes have their problems, and the cost and quality of dealer backup is a significant factor.
someone else witha similar problem to mine posted that mazxda UK had supported him really well, but I did not get that. :(
C'est la vie!