Author Topic: Noise from top of rocker cover.  (Read 9468 times)

Offline gary29429

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2015
Noise from top of rocker cover.
« on: August 31, 2020, 10:07:36 am »
I have a 2016 Mazda 6 2.2 skyactive Diesel Tourer.
Yesterday morning when I started the car there was a buzzing noise that sounded like a solinoid or relay trying to open, it buzzed 3 or 4 times, the engine started as normal and as I was about 20 miles from home I drove it, it drove perfectly normal, no loss of power or any indication of any issue. It was coming from the top of the engine, there was also a warning on the SCBS Forward Malfunction as well as the traction control light and the engine management light. Has anyone ever had a similar noise from the top of the engine. It's 3 or 4 intermittent buzzes on start up then normal driving...very straight.

Thanks

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Noise from top of rocker cover.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 12:25:27 pm »
It was coming from the top of the engine, there was also a warning on the SCBS Forward Malfunction as well as the traction control light and the engine management light.

Thanks

I think your car is trying to tell you it is not happy. How can you ignore those warnings and still drive the car ? You are asking for more trouble. I respectfully suggest that your next drive should be directly to your nearest reputable garage or Mazda dealership.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline gary29429

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 09:04:54 pm »
Well that was my first post on here and like most forums I get a smart ass answer, I had to drive home as I had 2 young kids in the back....I have not sat my backside in the car since I parked it up and have an appointment with the main dealer on Wed morning. I was simply asking had anybody experienced an issue like this before from what I was hoping was a friendly group of people with a common interest in Mazda cars. Who the hell said I was ignoring it.....actually, I'm not going to rise to it, I'll just say thanks for your informed advice.

And thanks Willpower for reminding me why I don't bother with forums....

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 10:17:53 pm »
My reply was not intended to be smart ass as you suggest and you should note that I said  " I respectfully suggest" .   There is no need to be so aggressive.   
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline gary29429

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 08:13:33 am »
Actually it was the "How can you ignore those warnings" that did the trick....again thanks for your advice.

Offline gary29429

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 08:19:24 am »
For anyone suffering a similar issue, dealer just called to say the issue is the actuator in the throttle body that is at fault. New throttle body ordered...supply and fit for 400.

Not too bad and touch wood the car has been like a clock for the last 90k miles.... :)