Author Topic: Variable Valve Timing Solenoid  (Read 3391 times)

Offline cralst

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Variable Valve Timing Solenoid
« on: May 02, 2018, 11:07:54 pm »
I have a 2006 Mazda 6 2.0 petrol. I was driving home last night and as I accelerated onto the motorway my engine management light came on. I only go one junction on the motorway so as I came off I stopped and plugged in my scanner. It showed a P0303 code - Cylinder 3 Misfire. As it ran and sounded ok I carried on home. I suspected it was probably a spark plug issue. Today I have managed to remove the plugs. They didn't look too bad, one was a bit more coked up than the others but it wasn't cylinder 3 and it wasn't bad enough to cause an issue. I cleaned them all put them and their coil packs back swapping ports. I've cleared the code so I'll see if it stays off or throws another code for a different cylinder having swapped them around.
Having taken off the plastic cover so I could see the coil packs and remove the plugs. I noticed that the top of coil pack 1, far left had a small pool oil. Also to the left of that, what I suspect is the Oil Control Valve Variable Timing Solenoid had dried and wet oil around it. I think this solenoid is leaking or at least the seal is allowing oil past which is blowing on to the coil pack. The plastic engine cover also had oil on the underside around this area. I have attached a photograph, is the part I've circled the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid and do I have to remove the Valve cover to replace it as I can't see any way to remove it from above the valve cover? Also can I buy a seal for this as it doesn't seem to be included in the valve cover gasket set?

Please read this :
  http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=1846.0    Thanks :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:11:59 pm by Willpower »