Author Topic: The Mazda 6 is gone  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Choppit

• TS Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
The Mazda 6 is gone
« on: February 11, 2019, 12:39:57 am »
After 3 years, 2 months of ownership, I've traded the Mazda 6 in at 38K miles (for £10K). I'd like to thank members of the group for all the advice given in this time. Here's the highlights/lowlights of my ownership.

The bad;

* 7 of the 8 wheels I've had fitted and replaced (under warranty) had the lacquer flake off, one tyre had a slow leak because of it.
* Blindspot monitoring sensors failed. Both were replaced eventually under warranty due to nobody having the diagnostic gear to check/update them.
* Adaptive headlights failed (communication error). Both were replaced under warranty.
* Drivers seat started rocking on its mounts (likely due to my weight, but also the only car where this has happened..)
* Noise from the drive shaft (possibly bearing). Didn't get it investigated as I was already looking to trade in.
* Various problems with the infotainment system rebooting, eventually resolved by update.
* Early problems with the service counter randomly changing (firmware update)
* 1 safety recall (Nov 2018) for injector updates.
* Tyres (225, 45, 19in) aren't held in stock anywhere I found so its a 2-3 day wait and not many brands available. Best price I managed was £175 each (fitted). First set lasted 28K miles.
* 1 cracked windscreen, which was a PITA to get replaced due to Autoglass having trouble identifying the correct screen, not being able to fit it at home, then having to re-calibrate the cameras separately. Also managed to crack the windscreen again 2 days before trading in...
* Sat Nav sucks! (slow, inaccurate)

The good;

* Great/dynamic to drive
* Averaged 42mpg (52mpg on one occasion on a long run). Not too bad considering my mix of driving.
* Great looks, stands out, turns heads (had mine mistaken for a Lexus once)
* Interior is great quality with no creaks or squeaks (putting aside the rocking drivers seat..)
* £20 road tax!

Would I consider buying another Mazda 6...? Yes, I would, maybe in a few years (perhaps a hybrid?)

Cheers

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: The Mazda 6 is gone
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 03:39:23 pm »
That reads like a lot of problems for such low mileage car.

The trade in price is a steal even before adding the finance cost.

Had you paid full price on it or did you get a good discount when buying?

Offline Choppit

• TS Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:34:43 pm »
I bought used at 8K miles/8 months from a main dealer for £19.5K (list price was ~£28.5K). Trade in value according to all sources I looked at was £9.5K to £10.5K with the wheels and the drivers seat dragging down the price, otherwise everything else was in excellent condition.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 11:04:37 am »
That is a lot of money for sure, ~£340 per month. But then you say that the first owner lost ~£9 in 8 months which is also crazy.