Author Topic: No power  (Read 12670 times)

Offline ravardo

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
No power
« on: February 17, 2018, 06:45:01 pm »
Ive just changed the turbo on my 2010 2.2 sport after it was in james bond mode,,it was chucking out a proper smoke screen.. It now doesnt smoke but it now has no power/boost and theres no codes come up.. After driving it for a couple days the eml has come on and then the dpf light a while later.. I went out this morning and dpf has gone off but the eml remains but now ive cleared it with a obd reader.. The code was p0299,, i doubt this has made any difference to the boost issues as there was no codes previously and i havent had a chance to drive it as my insurance run out at 12 today...what pipes do i need to check for air leaks and could it be something else causing lack of boost cheers

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2009
Re: No power
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:37:58 pm »
If they can guarantee that the turbo was checked before the sale, then you can do all the other turbo checks. Something like that?

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0299

Offline ravardo

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:06:00 pm »
The turbo was a recon jobbie and i put it on myself changed the oil ran upto temp by tickover then changed the oil for some flush stuff for 10 mins then dumped that for new oil and filter..Im thinking its got a split hose or something but need to know what hoses /pipes to check

I did around 80 miles in james bond mode so no doubt hasnt done the dpf any good when the light came on yesterday it was on constant but off today,,shame i never had the reader in the car then

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 12:22:11 pm »
I think this is a big DIY for anyone in here to have played with it.

There is no guarantee that the turbo is fine. If it is fine, did you remove and check all the pipes you connected to it?

That should be a standard procedure more or less. Sometimes you cannot find a leak without replacing the pipe.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/boost-leak-tester-leaking-turbo-symptoms-how-to-fix/

The only link that comes up for Mazda 6 is a bit old but it includes some nice contextual information:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=62107

There are different opinions about the oil flush. Some of it remains in the engine and destroys the quality of the new oil. These engines have a huge issue with the oil lubrication. Just use the standard C1 oil and you will be fine.

The DPF light means a lot of things. One of them is the timing chain stretching problem. That is related among other things to the oil. When the oil is not circulating, you get different parts of the engine dying and one of the first to die, if you are lucky and it stops there, is the turbo. As you have to deal with the turbo already, you may have a much bigger problem in front of you than what you thought you have.

Can you read whether the DPF light is down to the timing chain? If that is not your problem, then you should investigate the whole lubrication workflow. Start with the oil pick up job first to ensure that it is not blocked. If that was blocked, the oil flush can make things worse by moving the dirt around and block other bits of the engine. If the oil pick is clean, go for the turbo pipes and replace them.

If you ensure that you have no problems with the lubrication, keep investigating the turbo failure. Have you checked the EGR?

http://garagewire.co.uk/news/how-faulty-egr-valves-cause-turbo-failure/

When an engine part fails, you will need to pay attention to everything connected to it. Can you ensure that the pressure switch for the turbo is working?

Offline ravardo

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 01:18:19 pm »
Cheers for that ill have look through the links....the timing chain has already been changed 8000 miles ago after it stretched due to not changing the oil soon enough,,all the oil pick was cleaned and what not but after taking the turbo off the oil return pipe was slightly blocked at one end so that was cleaned along with the intake pipes im now trying to regen the dpf with the wire to chassis method and it wont do it

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 09:04:51 am »
You are getting there then.

I do not think your DPF light is due a DPF issue. You can try to regenarate it to keep this out of the picture. Some times the wire process needs to be tried a few times before it works. However, if the ECU is reprogrammed, such functionalities may have been wiped.

If they had cleaned the oil pipes and they still got blocked within 8K miles, there must be a lot of dirt in the engine.

Offline ravardo

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 12:28:35 pm »
Been on 20 mile run and dpf lights come on again constantly then after about 5 mins it started flashing,,checked on the reader no codes,,ive unplugged the maf sensor and it makes no difference so ive ordered a bluetooth forscan hoping that might shed some light on it,,im gonna get my mate with his snap on reader to do a regen and then whip the egr off and ive also just ordered turbo boost leak tester and go from there

Offline ravardo

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 02:04:54 pm »
Ive tried to turn the dpf light using the wire to chassis method which ive done a couple of times before and it stays off for about 30 seconds then comes back on and starts flashing again,,any ideas??

Offline ravardo

• S Class
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 09:16:11 pm »
The eml light is on constant now and comes straight back on after clearing it but now i have code p2463 which is the dpf is blocked,,i feckin love this car

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 07:55:20 am »
 :(

Does the car run fine but you get the warnings on? If it works, drive it smoothly without stops and starts, and the DPF will clean up.

For the DPF reset using the wire approach, the wire does not ground everywhere. I "plug" it between the top mount and the chassis to make it work. Just touching the chassis metal is not enough. I do not know why.

The first time I went to an independent garage he had one of these snap on readers. He could not reset the DPF but it reset with the wire.

DPF flashing normally means that you are fine but need a service. The works with no problems.

The car is set up to work with the MAF sensor, the EGR and the DPF. If they have played around them and the ECU, there will be a lot of errors.

Because there are plenty of sensors involved in the process, try to find out whether your ECU is a stock one and gives the rights signals. I suppose the dealer or somebody with knowledge can advise you on that.

If you are fine from an electrics/electronic point of view, then you can do the forced DPF regeneration, injection callibration, service reset, etc.

Offline ravardo

• S Class
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 03:45:35 pm »
Is there anything else i need to download to use forscan lite,, so far ive downloaded torque and and been able to connect the bluetooth elm to it but when i use FS lite it doesnt find the elm

Offline ravardo

• S Class
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 05:07:59 pm »
I had joy in connecting the elm obd to forscan so ended up borrowing my mates snap on solus,, i tried to regen the dpf which worked for about 20 secs then again for about 3 mins so i reset 2 dpf counters in the menu and then tried it again it took about 30 mins to regen  and worked soi then reset everything again and cleared the codes there was 4 in total  and took it out for a quick spin,,theres no lights anymore and seems to boost around 3000rpm which seems a bit high but its hard to tell with the snowy/sludgie roads

Heres a vid with the settings i reset  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssQT15pidQw&ab_channel=ColinHagan

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 09:32:17 am »
Well done.

It boosts earlier than that but close to 3K rpm it overboosts ====> VTEC kicks in yo!

The official figures are 1.8K rpm for torque and 3.5K rpm for power.

Offline ravardo

• S Class
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 10:12:09 am »
Well 6 months done the lane and the swaggers still going its now got 154000 miles on her and still has no boost,, it still throws up the p0299 code every now and then and ive regenned the dpf now 4 times since owning my own snap on ultra...I have a boost leak tester and when i connect it after the airbox air comes out of the top right corner of the rocker cover,, so i might actually fix that today and i might also whip off the egr and clean that and test it with the snap on to see if its working...Does anyone know how many threads should be showing on the turbo actuator as the turbo seems to cut in and you can feel the car go a bit quicker but no where near as quick as it was so im thinking it might need adjusting,,as that was the case when i changed the turbo on my gsi it was set wrong

Offline ravardo

• S Class
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 03:16:47 pm »
Well i did the rocker gasket and injector seals after actually getting the injectors out,,there is a huge amount of gunky crap under the rocker cover how its still going is beyond me,,so i cleaned the cover and left the rest where it was as i didnt fancy taking the sump off.. I didnt bother with the egr so i blanked it off which made no difference and threw up the eml light the next day so i unblocked it and the light went off again, the pipe from the inlet was nearly completely blocked anyway.. Im thinking i might get a exhaust pressure tester just to see if theres any back pressure which will indicate blocked dpf/cat,, before going down the new dpf route