Author Topic: Non-starter  (Read 5346 times)

Offline marcus

• TS Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2006
Non-starter
« on: February 08, 2016, 06:52:38 pm »
Hi all,

My 2006 2.0 petrol wont start. It doesn't turn over, but does click. The battery is about 2.5 years old and is a Bosch (supposedly meaning should last a bit?).

In the past it has had an issue with the battery running flat (usually  partner leaving lights on) and usually a jump solves it but not this time and also the lights etc seem strong not fading like they have in the past.

I have also suspected a parasitic drain in the past as it was flat after a nine day trip abroad and previously this wasn't an issue. Last time it was serviced I mentioned this but although the mechanic didn't think there was an issue I am not sure how much they investigated it.

Any suggestions gratefully received...

cheers

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: Non-starter
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 07:54:05 pm »
Could be boot light staying on draining the battery all the time. And the clicking but not starting could either be bad connections on battery cables to battery need cleaning up or a bad connection on the engine earth.
Just a couple of ideas hope they help 8)
cheers steve :)

Offline marcus

• TS Class
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 08:48:38 pm »
cheers Steve,

Quick update is I had another go jump starting and of course it started! I guess I didn't do a good job comnected the earth....

But I still think its draining. Its not the boot light I've checked.

I think I'll buy a new battery and see if it makes any difference. But at least its back running!

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 09:07:07 pm »
The clicking is the relays attempting to operate, but unable to get enough current to close and enable the car to  start.

You say that the battery has had problems, Quote   "in the past".  Is that in the last 2.5 years ? If so, I can almost guarantee your battery needs changing. Go into a battery supplier and get them to do a drop test on it. It's probably got one or two dead cells.

(That doesn't mean drop it on the floor.)  :)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline marcus

• TS Class
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 05:38:13 pm »
In the end having decided to get a new battery I discovered that mine was still under warranty and I got a new replacemnet. At the moment its certainly starting easier but I'll see if the drain issue stops or not.

I bought it from Euro Car Parts and having lost the original receipt I showed them my bank statement with the transaction from April 2013 and they accepted this, after checking their system, and replaced the battery, which is pretty good customer service in my book.

Now that I am blabbering on I might as well add this, Bosch make SO3 SO4 SO5 batteries and on their site state that SO4 is fine for middle range cars. But there are several SO4s and I need SO4 005, not SO4 063. I dont know the difference or if it matters and even after Googling I am none the wiser....But it seems that it would have been easy for me to buy the wrong one.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:40:17 pm by marcus »