Author Topic: Complete handbrake failure  (Read 8354 times)

Offline Frankie406

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L
  • Year: 2014
Complete handbrake failure
« on: November 03, 2017, 07:08:33 am »
Hi my 2014 mazda 6 has recently given me trouble with the handbrake (lever type)at first the handbrake in the car wouldn't fully disengage the light and warning came on dash I have to unzip the boot around the handbrake lever now the handbrake is not holding the car rolls on a slight incline. Is there any recalls or TSB on this problem?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Complete handbrake failure
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 12:21:08 pm »
This sounds like normal maintenance. In MOT language it would say something little or no effort to brake and it will fail. You will need to check the callipers and pads. If the pads are low and the callipers have not seized open, you will have an easy fix. If the callipers are seized, you will need to free them. Usually they swap them with others already repaired. Somebody else mentioned doing that work on your model at the dealer but for brand new callipers and pads it cost close to £1,200.

Offline Frankie406

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 09:01:44 am »
Thanks for your reply. 1200 pounds for brakes holy moly it should be done under warranty.I got a phone call from mazda saying there was a fault with some 6s regarding this so car should be getting done the next few days.I'll post back when it's done. 1 more thing do these (2013>)2.0 petrol models use a dmf?I had a petrol insignia which had 1 fitted.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 10:25:59 am »
Lucky you doing that for free.

The DMF is standard practice nowadays in order to achieve refinement.

Offline Frankie406

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:51:55 pm »
So there is a dmf also in the petrol version mazda 6 >:(

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:37:52 am »
I know what you mean but do not worry too much about the DMF. It is not something that will break down out of the blue. However, you are right. There is an extra part that at some point will need replacement.

With regards the cost, if you are long distance driver, you can easily add more than 100K miles before needing any attention to the combo clutch/DMF. With a bill around £1K it will turn out less than 1p/mile. If you are short distance driver, you add more stress to the clutch/DMF but as you will do less mileage, the parts will run for longer time. Even if it lasts less 50K miles or so, it can still go for 10 years to reach that mileage. That will make it cost something like £100 per year. If you consider what silly money we pay for insurance and never get anything back, such expensive repairs seem reasonable because you will only to do them once before the car rots away.

The other thing is that a lot of the drivers nowadays, replace their cars far too often to experience any such big repairs. If something like that comes up, they will just move to the next car a bit earlier.

Offline Frankie406

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 09:21:54 am »
Thanks apav....I just got a call from mazda saying they are doing the rear calipers but the discs and pads are badly worn and as a result I will have to pay for them to be done as they are not under warranty. Will I have to pay for this as it's a known fault in mazda regarding the handbrake!!!!who can I contact to get advice from?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 01:27:29 pm »
You can argue with them and compare the condition of the rear discs with the ones you have at the front.

The rears should be in a better condition. If yours are worse, you could try to argue that this happened because of the seized callipers due to the handbrake issue.

The big cost is the callipers. If they fit in new callipers, they play cheap by arguing about the discs and the pads.

You can buy the Pagid discs for £30 x 2 = £60 plus £30 for the pads minus 10-20% discount depending on the shop.

The dealer will probably charge more than that and so if they insist that they will not cover the costs, you can try to argue that the max you could pay is the market price for the discs pads set.

The dealer has a point about blindly follow the rules and not adding the discs and the pads in the repair but it is more than obvious that something has gone wrong.

Offline Frankie406

• S Class
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 04:16:03 pm »
Thanks again for your reply. .I got a call from both mazda head office UK and the service department both saying that ALL the work will be done under warranty and not to worry about it. I did write to both of them with a very strong worded email so I don't know if that helped or the girl in the service department helped I'm not sure! Though the girl in the service department was excellent at her job and if more were like her these places would be great...thanks again for your help apav!

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 09:28:21 pm »
You are welcome. Great result with the dealer, well done!