Author Topic: Oil pickup strainer delete  (Read 5742 times)

Offline Toe_Jam

• S Class
  • Colour: Galaxy Grey (32S) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L
  • Year: 2009
Oil pickup strainer delete
« on: October 09, 2017, 08:48:17 pm »
Hi all.
I have just checked my pickup strainer in my r2aa again (I had oil pressure issues when I bought the car). The previous owner had butchered the strainer retaining plate and I'm not happy with it's seating. It's loose and I'm worried it's going to drop into the sump. Can I just delete the strainer gauze and this retaining plate or will this adversely affect the oil circulation. I can't find replacements for these anywhere.

Offline Toe_Jam

• S Class
Re: Oil pickup strainer delete
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:08:26 am »
To give you some idea of what I'm working with:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:28:26 pm by Willpower »

Offline Toe_Jam

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 02:14:06 pm »
Ok. I have removed these components as I'm pretty sure they were doing more harm than good. The retaining plate was a little loose and I was worried it was actually blocking the pickup port. The strainer itself was clear this time so I think all deposits have been flushed. I also change my injector seals every time I do a service now anyway so they should not fail again. And vilified deposits should no longer be created due to failing washers.

First few 100 miles are completed fine with no adverse effects. I will keep you updated if anyone's interested.

Offline Timmytiger

• S Class
  • Colour: Arctic White (A4D) Non-Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 11:41:15 am »
Did mine a couple of weeks ago and it's still going ok.

The gauze had stopped a bit of carbon over 100k miles so to be on the safe side I've upgraded the ridiculously small oil filter to something better.

I wonder if the carbon build up is quality control issue. Injector #2 was very coked up and the nuts were finger tight. 1 and 3 were not very tight, 4 was very tight for a 6mm stud.

Replaced all the copper washers and ignored the WSM tightening the injectors well over the book value but still 60% of UTS for a 6mm 8.8.

Oil flush cleaned it out well but i'll put a fresh filter on after 500 miles just in case; hopefully good for another 50k miles!

Thought the sump might need a reseal but it's oil tight for now.

Should add I was quoted £500 plus for the injector job but it is dead simple.