Author Topic: 2007 (GG) hatch front coil-spring replacement  (Read 4265 times)

Offline ffoy

• S Class
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2007
2007 (GG) hatch front coil-spring replacement
« on: May 27, 2019, 04:30:57 pm »
Hi guys. I couldn't find a section to introduce myself on the forum before making 1st post so here goes lol

Am using my brother's 1.8s hatch just now. I have a 2004 Mondeo 1.8 which ironically has the same engine and know practically everything about that but nothing about the Mazda. Don't know where to cross-reference part numbers etc and I did search this forum re front spring before starting this thread and couldn't find any threads on it.

So I felt the spring snap the other weekend but car is still driving fine but looks dangerously low on the one side (driver's) and I took wheel off today to confirm it was actually that.

It's a totally different set-up from the Mondeo (done springs on them several times) but I don't have a manual for the Mazda to check. Looks to me like the strut could be removed from the car without disturbing driveshaft and lower suspension arms.

Anyone here don it before?

I did see an (18 minute) video on YouTube the other day but I only watched 1st 3 minutes lol 

Offline ffoy

• S Class
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2007
Re: 2007 (GG) hatch front coil-spring replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 04:39:13 pm »
well guys. I'got the thing off. plenty pictures but left camera at garage lol so will add them later.

It was actually very easy (compared to the Mondeo). Biggest problem I had was getting the nut off the bottom link. Ended up grinding/hacksawing it till it was weak enough to shift with chisel.

The spring was actually broken into 3 parts. One coil at bottom snapped off then anothe break about half way up. This would explain why the handling felt strange for weeks and then when I heard/felt a bang the car dropped several inches.

Just waiting on new spring arriving. I have floor-mounted compressor which makes the job a lot quicker and a bit safer so should have it back on by Thursday and will post pics

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: 2007 (GG) hatch front coil-spring replacement
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 06:21:20 pm »
Try to change at least the other side if not all four of them.

https://www.thepartsalliance.com/always-replace-coil-springs-in-axle-pairs/