Author Topic: Space saver  (Read 7016 times)

Offline mikec

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
Space saver
« on: March 17, 2017, 08:12:09 pm »
I recently bought my Mazda 6 (love it!) and like most people I'm now trying to acquire a space saver spare wheel. There seem to be loads on eBay for older models (e.g. 2007) - would they fit my 2014 car? I'm guessing that the wheels wouldn't have changed much since then but it's probably best to check with people who might know for sure!

Thanks in advance.

Offline Tall333

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: Space saver
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 07:34:04 am »
Have a read of this thread I created when researching a space saver for mine...

http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=2453.msg9913#msg9913

As far as I could tell, the offset etc is the same for older models to newer, but you need a wheel which physically fits in the wheel well.  The diameter of the wheel well floor is smaller than the diameter of a full size wheel, ie a full size wheel won't fit.  Personally, I went for the biggest diameter that would fit, plus I matched it to the maximum tread width so it fitted under the existing floor level.

Offline mikec

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 01:48:16 pm »
That's great - thanks. Sorry for the late reply!

Any idea how big the difference can be between a space saver and the rest of the wheels on the car? It's always going to be smaller otherwise it wouldn't be a space saver, but I guess it can't be too small or it would be undrivable - even allowing for the fact that it's just an emergency 'get you home' measure with speed limitations etc.

The tyres I've currently got are 225 / 55 / 17 which gives them a diameter of 67.9 cm (I think). I noticed from your linked thread that you went for a space saver of 125 / 80 / 16 with a diameter of 60.6 cm. Would they be suitable for me?

I suppose the maximum size that you can use is dictated by the size of the wheel well in the boot, but is there a minimum? Does it have to be within a certain tolerance of the other wheels?

Many thanks again.

Offline Tall333

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 04:39:19 pm »
The space saver can only be fitted to the rear, and since there's no diff on the back, then theoretically one could fit any size wheel as long as it keeps the car above the road.  The tyre pressure monitor will think you have a puncture (as it did with my space saver), but it can be reset using the dash button once the 'proper' wheel is re-fitted.
According to tiresize.com your wheel is 26.7 inches diameter, and my space saver was 23.9 inches.  IIRC the wheel well diameter is 24 inches. 

Offline ColinB

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 03:24:58 pm »
The spacesaver size is mentioned in the back of the handbook- or at least the tyre size is!