Author Topic: Turbo stopped working?  (Read 17947 times)

Offline Darren1717

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Turbo stopped working?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 06:08:52 pm »
Somehow when you try to use the forum with the IE, the section with the service manual disappears and you cannot access it. Even when you try to copy paste the link from Firefox, it does not do anything.

Does anyone have the pdf downloaded, that can be emailed?  ;)

Offline aeroadster

• TS Class
  • 6 SL estate
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 10:06:31 pm »
Sorry, I've not had a look at all your codes to interpret them yet.

Did you unbolt and clean that EGR thoroughly?  Sometimes, you'll also see a huge amount of carbon build up on the inlet manifold.  Clean what you can there too with a carb cleaner and a toothbrush.

Now you have the repair manual, locate and clean both your MAP and MAF sensors.   It would be interesting to see whether dirty sensors are creating a downstream problem with restriction in power.  They do on so many other cars.

Thanks...

I haven’t managed to get the manual yet, as I’m on an iPad and need IE! I’ll have to do it at work, to get to the EGR etc!
For the above reason, I’ve not yet got it off to clean, but sounds like the next job. I have put a new MAF sensor on... will find and clean MAP sensor.

Cheers

Darren,

Try these links, to give you access to the PDF versions for the GH model?  The embedded dynamic links within the document may not work so you'll have to scroll through the document each time which can be tedious.

https://www.mazdabg.com/ftp-uploads/Mazda/6/
https://www.mazdabg.com/ftp-uploads/Mazda/6/Mazda6%20(GH).pdf

Offline Darren1717

• S Class
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 09:27:56 am »
Update...

Ok, so I have the egr off, eventually. Have cleaned it up overnight in a soak.
Anyone know how I can test it whilst off the car?
Resistance settings or something??

Ta

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 05:35:26 am »
Did you find the manual or any other instructions, or was it more about playing with it until you made it?

I think you have to put it back and if the car works better, then the cleaning did the trick.

Offline Darren1717

• S Class
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 11:04:23 am »
No, had no luck at all with a manual... it’s the GH Diesel engine and the manuals seem rarer than rocking horse manure!
Bit of trial and error getting it off but managed it.
Now just need to try it out, but I’m not hopeful that it has cured the problem
 :'(

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 08:29:41 am »
I see. Did you take any photos?

The EGR will not last for ever but a good clean can give it extra life. Did you clean up the inlet manifold as well?

Did you check the pipes for cracks and splits? These will reduce your power and the turbo will not spool.

It is a bit tight where the turbo is, but somehow people on top the pipes, they manage to release the actuator and make sure it is free. That would then pin down the problems to electronics.

Offline Darren1717

• S Class
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 04:41:03 pm »
Ok... so just by way of an update for you...

Took the car to a local Indy Mazda guy. He hooked it up and found a timing chain stretch of 10.9, which I’m told is bad! Car had the recall carried out years ago, but hey.
I agreed to a £900 new chain... the next day he called and said that after checking, the turbo has gone also! So, not worth repairing anything.

Sadly, she is now off to the great scrapyard in the sky.

Thanks for your help guys.

:'(

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 09:52:15 am »
Unfortunately this is the story with these cars. They get big bills that never stop. The only way to make them work for you is to use them for long period/mileage. Then the cost per day/mile comes down to normal maintenance. The problem is that these cars seem to age very quickly around the decade combined with high mileage. So the rust will kill the rest.

If you had the car the car for 100K miles and you had to pay this £2K bill now, then it would be 2p/mile and you would hope that it would run for another 100K miles and so that would bring the cost down to 1p/mile. Probably you will have to decide based on the 2p/mile and this seems to be a reasonable cost to accept on top of the normal maintenance as it is unlikely that the chain will do another 100K miles.

Scrapping the car is a way out but if you could sell each wheel for the £50 minimum they go on eBay, plus that much for the odd panel, you will make much more than the £99 scrap value. Maybe you could sell the car as salvage with a faulty engine and somebody will do a DIY replacement engine for less than the £2K repairs and then keep it or sell it for a small profit. In the age of finance, I am not sure if anyone repairs cars anymore.

Offline Darren1717

• S Class
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 04:35:23 pm »
I actually sold it today to copart... got £300, which saves me the hassle of stripping it down.

Did manage to retrieve the brand new Denso MAF sensor that I put on it, all of 2 miles ago in my original fault finding quest... so that might recover some of the original £90 cost, on eBay or similar!

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 10:23:52 am »
Sad story and I wonder whether we will get something like £300 if we get into an accident. For sure you would not sell the car for £300 if it was working but then if you are in a accident, there is a very good chance that the insurance will only pay that much and then you will have to figure out what bicycle to buy to replace the 6.

If your sensor is bought new from a shop, maybe you could return it and get a refund. If you bought online, maybe you will have to pay the postage, but still it should be a straight forward refund. You just say that you tried it and there is no difference, so you would like to return it. In the past I had received an oil filter for the old car from Car Parts 4 Less which of course came in a Euro Car Parts box. It was one of these filters that do not have the metallic cover, it is just the paper filter that you fit in a plastic attached to the engine. Somebody had opened it and tried to do something with it. This did not stop them sending it to me. I contacted them and I got a replacement but you may have a chance to return it to the shop like that guy returned the oil filter. It is still crazy that a sensor goes for £90 and the whole car for £300.