Author Topic: Oil Pressure Light fully on - No engine knock  (Read 11420 times)

Offline Bradders

• S Class
  • Colour: Galaxy Grey (32S) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L
  • Year: 2013
Oil Pressure Light fully on - No engine knock
« on: April 22, 2018, 07:50:31 pm »
Hi there,
             I'm a bit terrified after reading one post on here but I thought I'd ask a question and see if there's any peace of mind to be had before getting my car into Mazda. I have a 2013 Mazda 6 Skyactiv-D 2.2 and the Oil light came on last week suddenly and has remained on ever since, at all RPM's. The car handles as normal and there is no engine knock or untoward sounds. When it happened I checked the oil level and it was fine, then I changed the oil and filter but the light remained on.
      The very fact that it came on suddenly without flicker, is present at all RPM, and there wasn't any engine knocking led me to believe that the Oil Pressure sensor had failed and I looked in vain for it's location this weekend to replace without joy.
      Now I'm really concerned that the low oil pressure could be a result on the camshaft/ carbon buildup/ blocked strainer that is mentioned previously on this forum and intend to contact Mazda in the morning to get them to look at it in the hope that I've not wrecked it.

I guess my question to you good folks is around my particular symptoms - Warning suddenly on and remains on at all RPM, oil level fine, then changed and no knocking from the engine. Does this sound more like a sensor, a blocked oil strainer or something else?

I've probably done around 100 miles in the car since the warning came on......

Appreciate your thoughts on likelihood of only the oil pressure sensor failure.

Thanks

Graham

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Oil Pressure Light fully on - No engine knock
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 09:55:49 am »
 :(

Maybe you are lucky and it is the sensor but that will be a first.

Your car may be within the faulty ones that needs the engine rebuild.

The blocked strainer was for the second generation cars.

Have the car checked and don't drive it until then. 100 miles with the light on and driving at normal rpm across the range is a bit extreme.

If you start hearing any engine knock, then it will be too late.

Offline Bradders

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 10:36:29 am »
Thanks! I'm really hoping I've not fried the engine. Got it booked into Mazda in the morning so fingers crossed. Is there anyway I can check if my engine is one of the faulty ones and whether Mazda are helping in any way with the cost of rebuild?

I saw a WW recall notice dated Feb 2017 that said Mazda were recalling 460,000 cars including the Mazda 6 for issues with the diesel engine. Not sure if they ever actually did? Certainly mine wasn't recalled for the engine.

Thanks

Graham

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 03:05:59 pm »
Google is your friend, " VOSA Mazda recalls"  should get you the list which covers all models and years showing VIN numbers involved.

Offline Bradders

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 09:56:12 am »
OK, so I got my car into Mazda this morning and they called me soon after to say that my car hadn't been serviced in the last 2 years. I replied that it had, and I changed the oil and filters every 12,500 miles.

Ah, they said. It's due its 75,000mile service which is a major service and that's why you low pressure oil light is on.

Now I'm delighted that I haven't wrecked the engine, but I'm a little bit suspicious at the explanation for low oil light. If it was to advise me that a major service was due would it not just be the usual spanner notification. I suspect the oil strainer may be clogging and it will be miraculously cleared when I pick up the car tonight.

As I said, I'm delighted and thought I'd share for info.

Graham

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 10:17:04 am »
I do not have the third generation car but what the dealer says, does not sound right. Check this guy about the service indicator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIPGqQwBJtU

If I was you, I would call another dealer and ask them about the light. They can measure the oil pressure. This light is more likely to be a warning due to a low pressure and I know Mazda has a long history of misusing the lights but using the low oil pressure as a service indicator seems very unlikely and in case there are videos online that other cars have a proper service indicator.

There is no official recall for rebuilding the engines but a lot of them were done.

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?cboStartMonth=1&cboStartYear=1992&cboEndMonth=1&cboEndYear=2020&cboMake=MAZDA&cboModel=Mazda6&cboSortOrder=rec_launch_date&cboAscDesc=ASC&PageSize=10&tx=0.9476129&newsearch=newsearch

Offline Bradders

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 10:41:18 am »
Yeah, my suspicion is that the oil strainer is clogged due to the camshaft hardening issue, and that the dealer is probably well aware of this and talked me into a service to give them a chance to drop the sump and clean the mesh.

If that's the case and it gets me another few years then I'll be happy anyway.

I suspect the low pressure oil light was low pressure due to a blocked strainer going by what I've read on these forums, but I'll wait and see what transpires!

I'll probably also start changing the oil and filter at 8 or 10k miles.

Offline Bradders

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 08:10:08 am »
Well I got the car back last night and although I'm delighted that it doesn't need a new engine, the whole experience with Mazda has left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth....

So, I was told after they had done an initial inspection of the car that the low oil pressure warning was as a result of it requiring it's 75,000 mile service, so I agree to let them do the service. Then they call me to tell me I need to replace the front discs and brake pads -Probably standard to pick stuff like this up in inspection.

Then when I go to pick the car up I get the bill for £789 which is broken down approximately as follows:

1. Oil Pressure Low fault - £180 (2 hrs labour @ £90/ph)
2. Service/ parts etc. About £300
3. Labour - About £300

No explanation of what had caused the Low oil pressure but it certainly doesn't look from the invoice as if this was 'because the 75,000 mile service was due'. It also seemed that fixing the low pressure was labour only, no parts. I suspect that the oil strainer has been cleaned.

As I said, I'm happy that the car is OK, and the cost doesn't really bother me.

I'm just a bit miffed as I seem to have been misled and they haven't actually told me what was done to remove the low oil pressure fault....

Just thought I'd pass it on in case it is of use to anyone  ???

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 10:41:28 pm »
Thats par for the course with Mazda dealers, most of them leave bad tastes in your mouth.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 03:54:58 pm »
I do not have the third generation car but what the dealer says, does not sound right. Check this guy about the service indicator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIPGqQwBJtU

That UTube clip does not apply to the 2013/14 models, just to the facelift.

What you can do is buy a Tacklife OBD reader at £15  and Forscan software for £ 3.00 and reset the error when it comes up. You can also read of many values from the ECU  such as EOP Engine Oil Pressure, came chain stretch, amps, volts, exh temps and pressure difference across DPF and more.
I changed my own oil for the first time between services and no light came up for 700 miles, then tried to clear it , but it cleared itself after returning  home. I was then able to clear the error  using Forcan and my tablet.
Don't buy one of these cheap knock offs.
There is also a Forum for Forscan usage and questions, mainly Fords, but  that is a legacy when Ford was involved in Mazda. You can find some Mazda only posts.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 04:06:37 pm »
You can replace your own front pads and save yourself a bundle. They are easy to do and you can checke that everything is free round the calipers also.
Have you had the recall for the rear calipers. Check Vosa for Vin number on that one.
My dealer just replaced the calipers as it was quicker than messing about putting in washers as the fix suggested.
Then there is the AC evaporator change due to excessive flux left on when manufactured, turbo pipe clips change,  charging software tweak, blue tooth unit swop to prevent starting on 1st song each time on  memory stick.
If you have trouble with the TPS, just turn it off altogether.
Not all these are Vosa recalls, but SSPs & MSP's etc, in house things  some of which you need to ask the dealer to do.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire