Author Topic: 2008 headlight issues  (Read 6314 times)

Offline HelpMyMazda6Please

• S Class
  • Colour: Celestial Blue Mica (38J) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
2008 headlight issues
« on: March 28, 2017, 11:23:38 pm »
I need help with the headlights. I have 2 problems.

1. The headlights are really poor, I drive in the countryside a lot and I can't see more than 8-10 feet in front of the car. Full beam is no problem but main headlights are dreadful. This is a serious issue when a car is coming towards me and I have to turn off full beam. I am guiding myself on the road by the oncoming headlights. Does anyone else have really poor headlights? I had someone change the bulbs and this has not helped.
2. I realised when changing the bulbs myself to try and establish what the hell was going on that the mounting unit for the off side head light bulb has melted. The bulb was incorrectly placed. A replacement headlight unit is £320 new and about £120 to fit. I know I can get a second hand one if I look around for about £100. But don't want to have the same poor lighting issue.

I am considering an upgrade of headlights rather than putting the same back in, especially at that price. Any one have any advice in upgrades?

Offline Cee-Jay-Cee

• TS Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2010
Re: 2008 headlight issues
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 08:35:44 am »
I have seen several other similar posts about the headlights in 2nd Gen 6's however I have to say the lights in my 2010 car are very good and they're just regular halogen headlights and not HID's. Maybe change the bulbs to Osram Night-breakers which are supposed to be much brighter (perhaps that's what's in my car - I only bought the car 3 months ago and haven't toughed the bulbs or lights so maybe the previous owner fitted them)

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:57:23 am »
It seems that your problem are the destroyed headlights. You can buy them for £130 new minus any discounts that are on offer. I think you will be fine without any upgrades but if you go for an upgrade, beware of the MOT regulations.

Offline HelpMyMazda6Please

• S Class
  • Colour: Celestial Blue Mica (38J) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 10:12:57 pm »
Hi

I have meant to been here to reply and say thanks for responding. But I've had little time to do that.

I have decided not to go for an update. I am going to try the osram night breakers as suggested. Thank you Cee-Jay-Cee.

Apav, you said you can get the headlight cluser new for £130 minus any discounts. Do you have any advice where from?

Thanks again

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 11:07:01 am »
I checked the Euro Car Parts. Today they have a 30% discount. The dicsount code is at their website. With that, both headlights will cost £267. However, if you go to their sister website Car Parts 4 Less, they have the same headlights for £259. With their offer at the website, you only save £15 but if you register to their newsletter, they will send you other discount codes. I got an email yesterday for 9% off. So if your headlights are not pointing in the right direction, you can try to get a discount such as the above and replace both headlights. It will save you the money you will need to pay to replace them to pass the MOT. I have not done any market research, so there may be other online stores with better prices.