Author Topic: Mazda 6 Engine Replacement/ Recall  (Read 8900 times)

Offline Bradders

• S Class
  • Colour: Galaxy Grey (32S) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L
  • Year: 2013
Mazda 6 Engine Replacement/ Recall
« on: January 24, 2019, 02:00:31 pm »
Hi folks,
             Mazda 6 2.2D 2013 owner here. 90K miles and have had the car for 2 years. Last April, I got a low oil pressure warning, took it to the dealer and he charged £200 on top of a service to fix. I suspect it was due to a blocked oil strainer although they never detailed what they did.

So, I get's my recall notice for the Injector Issue that can cause carbonisation of the oil in December. Cars still running fine and reading the detail of the recall, seems to be related to the issue that my car had experienced the previous April. Also, the Recall appears to have been called in May, despite it taking to December to notify me.

As the recall notice didn't say not to drive it, I didn't rush to get it in. However, last Thursday I started getting a 'Vehicle System Inspection Required' warning, so I gets the car booked into Mazda this Thursday (Tomorrow). On Saturday, without notice it went into limp mode, so I limped it home, phoned Mazda and was told to bring it in on Monday. I didn't drive the car the rest of the weekend.

On Monday, I limped the car to the dealer. The SCBS light came on during the journey and the brakes failed so I was relieved to finally get it there.

I'm now told I need a new engine and the dealer is currently talking to Mazda about this being completed on a 'Goodwill Basis'. I'm hoping this is the case.

However, if it is not the case I'd appreciate some thoughts on this as it seems the failure is exactly due to what the recall is for. Injectors causing oil carbonisation, which has blocked the oil strainer and lead wear on the camshaft causing Vehicle System Inspection light to come on. The brakes failing also can be arributed to this due to blocked oil lines causing vacuum issues. The furums are full of this being documented.

So, if the don't replace the engine, my understanding is that as a result of the recall they need to repair, replace or refund the car. Obviously, in the case of replace or refund, market value etc. would need to be taken into account. My understanding is that replacing the engine wouldn't be a 'Goodwill Gesture'. It's one of the options that they are legally obligated to perform under the recall as the issues are directly related to the recall.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

Graham

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Mazda 6 Engine Replacement/ Recall
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 10:19:34 am »
It sounds like they told you that you need a new engine though.

Whether you have to pay anything for that, they will update you as they have the broken car in their garage and they would like to move it on.

The one month difference to book in for the recall, is not unreasonable and could not justify a new engine just because you did not turn it in immediately.

I doubt that they will replace or refund the car. The best thing you could hope for, is a free engine rebuild, not even a new engine.

As long as you pay something like the £200 you paid before to have it back on the road, it cannot be that bad.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
Re: Mazda 6 Engine Replacement/ Recall
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 11:38:35 pm »
Bradders, what I believe they do is clean out the sump, reaseat the injectors, check the camshaft as this tends to wear because the cam followers are too hard and they wear camshaft, the swarf also finds its way to the vacuum pump so that is replaced   as well as the bearing shells. After replacing most of these parts, they flush the engine a couple of times.  Which to,  me doesn't remove everything. Like you say it should be a new engine.

Good luck with that one.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire