Author Topic: TPMS False readings  (Read 8935 times)

Offline jimbonner

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2013
TPMS False readings
« on: August 20, 2018, 10:59:03 am »
HELP!!! I have a 2013 Mazda 6 estate Diesel.
My TPMS keeps giving false readings. This started around 6 months ago when I replaced a tyre since then TPMS goes every day. I have replace all tyres now with identical make and size. Also I have taken car to a local Mazda garage who have carried out several tests and can find nothing wrong. They have run a full global diagnostic check( no current faults showing). ABS system check,reluctor rings checked. diagnostic reset of TPMS and Body Control Module replaced and coded. I emailed Mazda and their answer is go to a Mazda dealer (at my cost) who will check and report back to Mazda if required. Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this. Thanks

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
Re: TPMS False readings
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 12:28:32 pm »
Whenever you replace a tyre or check pressures you should reset the TPMS system. This is done by holding down the button located on the dash, right hand side of the steering wheel. Mazda also recommend that when you change a tyre, only fit the same make as already on the vehicle. The system on the 6 works by measuring the rotation of the wheel rather than a loss in pressure, and different makes of tyre with different tread patterns can cause the system to go off.

Offline jimbonner

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 07:38:53 pm »
All tyres replaced ad I have 4 identical tyres (make and size). system reset manually every day. Also has been reset diagnostically.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 08:31:28 pm »
You can turn off the TPMS  completely or get your dealer to do it.
You don't really need it  if you check your tyre pressures  weekly  with your fluid levels. You will soon know if you have a flat by how thd car handles as we have always done since we had cars.
A lot of these things are gimicks by the manufacture  to up the price and  add  to the toy list when selling the car.

Do we need Satnavs, automatic braking, radar cruise control, use of mobilephone whilst driving, to see what tune is being played, that Istop charging screen  and many other  toys , No we don't.   
Though what would help is better design and QA of the engine,  higher boot space, decent carpets and floor mats, sprung seats rather than foam rubber with a choice of colours rather than black in a quality upholstery material.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline Tall333

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 08:15:16 am »
Not sure on the legalities of turning it off.  I believe it became mandatory to have a low tyre pressure warning systems in Nov 2014 (and the op's car is older than that), but maybe it falls under the "if your car has it fitted it must work" category?

Offline johnbb99

• S Class
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica (42A)
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 10:42:19 am »
my 2016 model has repeatedly given false alerts despite being checked out as ok by the dealer.

Offline Biffo67

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 04:30:08 pm »
Mine has given false alerts occasionally. No help from the dealer who has "never heard of this problem"

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 07:31:01 pm »
You don't really need it  if you check your tyre pressures  weekly  with your fluid levels. You will soon know if you have a flat by how thd car handles as we have always done since we had cars.
A lot of these things are gimicks by the manufacture  to up the price and  add  to the toy list when selling the car.

Do we need Satnavs, automatic braking, radar cruise control, use of mobilephone whilst driving, to see what tune is being played, that Istop charging screen  and many other  toys , No we don't.   
Though what would help is better design and QA of the engine,  higher boot space, decent carpets and floor mats, sprung seats rather than foam rubber with a choice of colours rather than black in a quality upholstery material.

Totally agree
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline Rusty Bike

• S Class
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 10:17:43 pm »
I was told that the system was mandatory in the USA (sounds about rite!) to flag up a puncture, not warn that one pressure is slightly low. Mine began faulting up when my tyres became worn. I fitted 4 x Khumo and was plagued for at least a year afterwards. Dealer said they couldn't deactivate it. Tried everything to remedy the fault but it kept happening. Then, after last recall, it stopped. My pressures are quite low circa. 31psi. I'm due new tyres again soon. Dear Lord, please don't let it start over again.