Author Topic: A bit of polish, a bit of sun...  (Read 19343 times)

Offline Captain Slow

• TS2 Class
  • Zoom-Zoom
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
A bit of polish, a bit of sun...
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:29:13 pm »
Looks better now than when I bought it!

A lot of credit must go to the other Mazda owner in the household though for such a stonking job.

Matty

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
Re: A bit of polish, a bit of sun...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:25:01 am »
Very nice captain ! 8) I've noticed a couple of extras on your 6 ,the silver wing mirrors & the lights in the bottom air dam , I do like the look with these did you get them from Mazda or from an aftermarket company ? Are the lights daytime running ? Cheers pete

Offline Captain Slow

• TS2 Class
  • Zoom-Zoom
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:55:54 am »
Thanks Pete. :)

Yes both the things you mentioned I have added myself, although the mirrors were/are a factory option.

The chrome mirror garnish (as Mazda call it) was ordered from SG Petch. They seem to stock all the genuine Mazda accessories. Here's the webpage for the newest model of the 6, although there are others for the older models of the 6, or the 3 etc: http://mazda-6.sgpetch.co.uk/pages/accessories/categories/model=64

There were some cheaper chrome mirror garnish kits on eBay but, although these were cheaper, they weren't the official Mazda ones. They were a bit of a pig to fit as we didn't want to break the original blue ones (might be a bit difficult to fine spare ones in this colour!) but once we'd done one the other was straight forward.

The only other problem with ordering from SG Petch, although I think this might be a problem everywhere, was that the Vat and postage on top of the price quoted for the actual item can be quite excessive. :-\

But I think they look great, certainly compliment the sporty blue well. I'm happy with them. :)

Now, the lights in the bumper. Yes these are daytime running lights. This set was made by Ring, and they are actually what they call 'dual function' running lights. Mine are wired so they come on with full light output with the engine running, and then dim right down when sidelights/headlamps are switched on. They look pretty good and they actually look better 'in the flesh' than the pictures make out. The only problem is they're not quite long enough to fill the entire slot in the bumper, but again 'in person' they actually look ok, even though the pictures suggest otherwise. They're also positioned so they go inwards, rather than sitting level with the edge of the bumper as this was blinding other drivers to start with!

I bought them from Halfords for about £70, then had them fitted. I also needed a few connectors or something (can't remember the technicalities!) but they were only a few quid and it's all explained on the box. This is the set: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_787859_langId_-1_categoryId_165688

Another problem with these though is that the bracket that comes with them to be fitted to the bumper etc, is too big for the Mazda bumper, so mine are fitted with that double sided tape used to attach number plates. This isn't an issue as it's incredibly strong and mine have't moved once yet!

If truth be told, I really wanted the genuine Mazda ones that are pre-fitted to a brand new grill, but sadly these only fit the facelifted models as the grill is slightly more curved. :( As shown here: http://phwt.mazda.co.uk/gb/en/M6F3/8/AccessoryDetails/59111dae-6a3e-4403-9dca-d45cd387a862?groupId=364#

I haven't really got a decent picture of these lights when switched on, but here's one to give a rough idea of what they look like. They're very much the same colour as those Audi rope-light style DRLs you see on their cars.

Hope this long diatribe was of some help, I'm actually looking at a revised set of running lights that are long enough to fill the slot in the bumper as we speak..... ;)
Matty

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:19:02 am »
Thanx Matty does the chrome just sit on the exsisting mirror or do you detach part of it ? If you source some full lights to fit the whole dam let me know as I'm definately going to put some on , but even not filling the whole dam looks pretty good especially when they are on (pic)   :)

Offline Captain Slow

• TS2 Class
  • Zoom-Zoom
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:32:10 am »
Yeah Pete the orignal mirror casing (in my case, the blue ones) unclip and the chrome ones clip on. They came with pretty good instructions actually, I was quite surprised lol. :P

Yes I certainly will let you know. I might have hit a brick wall though since yesterday, as I've discovered the dam holes in the pre-facelift are actually 2 or 3cm shorter than the facelift models. Ideally, we'd need some that are about 26/27cm long, but I can only find the shorter ones that I've already got, or ones that are 30cm or so and would fit the newer models but not ours. I'll keep looking! 8)

Thanks for your kind words. :D
Matty

Offline alcarp

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:54:14 am »
Really good job, looks nice a glossy!

Offline Captain Slow

• TS2 Class
  • Zoom-Zoom
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 04:40:48 pm »
Thanks. It hasn't been out of the garage since this. :)
Matty

Offline gsd

• S Class
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 12:39:39 pm »
hi mate .
car looks superb mate,i like the drl and would like to do mine .i do have 1 question however , my car is 2012 takuya on the drivers side i have a black plastic "blank",while on the other side i have a gap,and no blank. did you remove this (or are the drl stuck to it)?? on the other side with a gap what do  you fix to. i dont understand why 1 has a gap and 1 side does not. many thanx ,hope you can help.
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Offline Captain Slow

• TS2 Class
  • Zoom-Zoom
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 01:52:03 pm »
Hiya matey, yes the Takuya and facelift Sport models have the blanking plastic part on one side only. I'm not sure why it's only on one side. Presumable the other side needs to be open for air intake? :-\

I'm not sure how that part would come out. Maybe it's just screwed in?

I was lucky with mine as the prefacelift models have both gaps left completely empty. The DRLs are simply stuck in with that tape that's used for sticking number plates on. Very very strong and far cleaner than screwing holes through by beloved bumper! ;D
Matty

Offline Steve_c

• Sport Class
  • Has a Swiss Army Wife!
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:38:53 pm »
The car does look great, but (and I realise that I'm in a minority) I despise DRLs with a passion.  I think they are entirely unnecessary, and an unwanted distraction as they tend to draw the eye towards them.  Half the time, they look like fog lights (another of my pet hates, especially in wet weather).  If a driver is unaware of the presence of an oncoming car in daylight at 300 yards without DRLs, the absence of DRLs is NOT the problem.  Having a driver who is either blind or inattentive is the problem, so we should deal with that, not make everyone have DRLs [eventually].

Offline Captain Slow

• TS2 Class
  • Zoom-Zoom
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 08:04:41 pm »
I'm not keen on the Audi-style ropelight ones that they have in the headlights, but these are as low as you can physically fit them and aren't anywhere near as bright as the Audi ones either, so they certainly don't draw your eyes towards them.
Matty

Offline underphil

• Sport Class
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 01:09:21 pm »
I don't like DLRs either   ....but maybe I do now  :-[ ;D

Offline Renton

• TS2 Class
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 10:48:29 am »
Hi there.

Just looking through this thread and really like the drl's !!

were they easy to fit and wire up??

if you ever consider selling them please email me or pm me on here as im am after a set for my 6 !!

cheers

steve

Offline Captain Slow

• TS2 Class
  • Zoom-Zoom
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 05:40:50 pm »
I took the car to an auto electionics place, I wouldn't know where to start!

You can buy the kit though, all the info's in my posts a bit further up. :)
Matty