Author Topic: Brake disk surprise  (Read 5878 times)

Offline Dave2103

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Brake disk surprise
« on: May 11, 2019, 02:19:50 pm »
Hi all, I've been getting a bit of brake wobble at high speed braking & very low speed.
So I thought it's either the pads or disk warp, so I decided to change pads first & if that didn't resolve the issue I'd change the disks too.
As I took the wheel off I saw instantly what I'd guess was the problem! Have you noticed?
https://ibb.co/zmp6yJB

Offline ZookNc

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Re: Brake disk surprise
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 09:17:23 am »
Hi Dave,

Mazda 6 OEM disks all seem to have a warping issue which leads to vibration under braking. I replaced mine with OEM style Brembos and I haven't had an issue since. Changing the pads is a good idea as well if you're changing the disks.

Concerning the broken wheel stud, although disconcerting, I don't think it would have anything to do with the wobble if the other lug nuts were properly tightened.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 04:09:38 pm »
That doesn't look like a sheared wheel stud as my Mazda 6 has 5 studs, those in the image look equaly spaced. Plus non of the studs have the countersunk hole.
What you are  possibly seeing is the holding screw to keep the disc on or a jacking screw hole, to ease the disc off.  But the one at the 11 o' clock  position looks like the jacking screw hole of which there should be two.
Whats the other side look like?
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline DaveMc89

• S Class
  • Colour: Cosmic Blue Mica (34M) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 05:47:23 pm »
Not sure what you’re seeing as the issue cause? It won’t be the missing countersunk screw as they literally just hold the disc in place whilst the wheels off.

I do recall however changing the disc on my last 6 that one was a pig to get off as the centre was warped. Had to hammer and rotate. Repeat till loose!

Offline markomate

• S Class
  • Never give up the ship!
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 10:32:45 am »
I had to cut my last discs off with an angle grinder! Just one side though, the other side fell off when I drilled out the small screw!
"Warped" discs syndrome is often caused by sticking calipers leaving a pad deposit on the disc which causes judder.
I've cured it before with a light cleaning using a fibre flap disc.
I've found the Maz 6 front and rear calipers are prone to seizing, I check them every few months.