Author Topic: What's that vibration?  (Read 13954 times)

Offline oldbilbo

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
What's that vibration?
« on: July 28, 2016, 07:42:18 pm »
Just to add to the angst from t'other thread on another forum....

My Mazda 6 T2 'pickup truck' developed a vibration I could feel through the wheel and the soles of my feet. I took it to my very local garage, where the youngish guys gathered to have a peek and poke inside. "It's the cat converter, mate. That won't be cheap. Main dealer part - I can get one here for Friday."

I chose to 'think about it', and yes, that replacement would be over £1000, with one thing and another.

So I dropped in to a Mazda main dealer - well, two of them, actually, in Bristol and Trowbridge. The Bath Main Dealer was 'too busy' again - asking that the issue be diagnosed properly. I told them I'd asked a local garage, they'd guessed 'cat converter' with fallen-off bits that rattle about inside, and that I was unconvinced. Said car disappeared into workshop(s) and eventually reappeared. "It's the cat converter, mate. That won't be cheap...". Twice.

I'd already determined that a faulty cat converter would show up at MOT time, it wasn't really needed in the interim, and a used one could be had for £250-300 via the interweb. Fitting would be an hour's billing. I did want to discover which Mazda main dealer I could trust, or not. I got my answer....

I wandered away, displeased with misfortune and my share in it.

Some weeks later, the vibration increased significantly then, passing fast along the dual carriageway north of Plymouth with friend Sara in the co-pilot's seat, there was a loud bang and serious rattling, with multiple panel warning lights. I stopped pdq, as one does. It emerged that the alternator had destroyed its bearing(s) and had failed catastrophically. The vibration had, in the words of the RAC patrolman, been a warning I hadn't heeded. OK, so a new alternator went in, for ~£300. End of vibration.

And the vehicle's exhaust system - including catalyser - in the latest MOT examination, passed clean as a whistle.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Re: What's that vibration?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 06:17:46 am »
Great story and it just goes to show, you cannot rely on the "experts".

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 05:53:19 pm »
There is the nub of the problem. Dealership mechanics deal with new cars, changing filters , fluids and pads, very rarely see a fault like that on a new car.
AA/RAC  see all makes of cars from new to 20 years old in various states of maintenance with all problems that can happen and I am sure often talk to their colleuges if they get a strange fault, it might also beon a database they can check on if stumped, so very knowledgeable people. They know how to jury rig to get you going with their limited supplies.

A dealers mechanic is no doubt on a commission on the amount of extras he can persuade the customer to have fitted.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline GaryGary

• TS Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 08:13:56 pm »
Just had a similar issue with mine, 2009 GH 2.2 MZR
But no prior warnings, Visiting friends in UK, left Lake district to drive to the ferry at Newhaven. after 8 miles, loud noise and a set of warning lights on. Looked under bonnet and the clutch pulley on Alt, had formed an escape party and took the belt with it. New belt 20 quid, New clutch pulley, 72 quid, 45 on alternator rebuild with new bearings. Refitted it, come to start and immobilser decided to pack up, 3 hours later and much F ing about, got it going, Ferry rebooked and Home to France at 5 in the morn......