Author Topic: Discussions about DPF  (Read 166419 times)

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Re: Discussions about DPF
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2012, 01:28:36 pm »
I've found this forum to be very informative and joined the mazda campaign forum as well.
My Mazda 6 experience has been mixed, but now feel that I am coming to terms with the 'quirks' of this DPF design issue.
Brief summary of other posting:

The DPF light first started flashing in 2010 and I had it serviced independently. The DPF light remained flashing and my garage (I had used them for years and have found them trustworthy and reliable) advised me to take it to another independent outlet to get the DPF "regenerated", which I did.
All remained well till service needed in October 2011. The DPF light was flashing prior to service and this time a different independent carried out the service and "regenerated" the DPF.

All appeared well until I was on a longish journey in early January 2012. I was driving on the M6 (in 6th gear) after around 90 minutes drive time, when the engine power dropped off on an incline. I dropped down the gears 5th then 4th until the road levelled off and power came back.
This happened a few times, then the DPF started flashing.

The DPF continued flashing and I nursed the engine so I could get home (around 60 miles). Then the amber engine warning light came on close to home.
As I was close to home, I nursed the engine even more and parked the car on my driveway.
I have covered less than 3000 miles since the service.

I contacted a local dealer who was helpful (that surprised me). The dealer told me that the oil level has to be reset electronically after an oil change (that precludes any DIY work). The independent pointed me to a different independent.
I've been to that one today and the DPF and warning light has been cured - for now at least.

Both independents and dealer are Leeds based. I will transfer allegiance to the one I visited today.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

Garage website www.motocity.co.uk
hi how much did they charge you for the regen ,took mine into a garage as dpf light flashing i thought it was because it hadnt been reset after service last month which it hadnt but when they put it on diagnostic it came up with regen needed & no other faults ,so garage has cleared the regen code (not sure if same code as reset code after service ) will wait to see if dpf comes back on again if it does will have to get regen done ,i was born 1 min from that garage & is still quite local for me so might take there if it needs it ,thanx

Offline lord_doodle

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2012, 05:35:47 pm »
Well i have a 55plate facelift 2.0ltr D. I have had nothing but problems with my DPF even doing many miles on motorway, it just kept blocking and having to have a manual Regen. The worst and final straw was after taking it in to check why it is automatically regening every 50 miles, they could not find any fault or reason for this. I then drove just over 60 miles down the M6 and all the lights came on, went into limp mode and could not go any further. Took back to the garage who said that when they checked it before we left the soot level was only at 4% which is normal, but when they had it back the soot level was over 19% and no one could explain what would make this happen so quickly and must have been a coincidence that it happened just after being with them. To this day i don't believe it, and instead of having the new DPF they said i must have as it was over the 15% soot mark i have had this removed (bypassed) so it no longer has any problems. It has been 11000 miles and not a problem (touch wood) so to everyone with problems i suggest just removing and making the car work properly.

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 06:14:45 pm »
Well i have a 55plate facelift 2.0ltr D. I have had nothing but problems with my DPF even doing many miles on motorway, it just kept blocking and having to have a manual Regen. The worst and final straw was after taking it in to check why it is automatically regening every 50 miles, they could not find any fault or reason for this. I then drove just over 60 miles down the M6 and all the lights came on, went into limp mode and could not go any further. Took back to the garage who said that when they checked it before we left the soot level was only at 4% which is normal, but when they had it back the soot level was over 19% and no one could explain what would make this happen so quickly and must have been a coincidence that it happened just after being with them. To this day i don't believe it, and instead of having the new DPF they said i must have as it was over the 15% soot mark i have had this removed (bypassed) so it no longer has any problems. It has been 11000 miles and not a problem (touch wood) so to everyone with problems i suggest just removing and making the car work properly.
hi how much did it cost to get it removed & has your mpg improved any ?

Offline thevilla1

• S Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2012, 09:41:20 am »
Hi all..

after being in limp mode with flashing dpf for over 6 months... i thought it was time to sort it out...

id heard of sinspeed .. but couldnt be arsed to drive it to london..from birmingham.

eventually found a local place about 5 miles from me...they removed the filter from the exhaust..remapped the ecu so it doesnt think it has a dpf anymore.. and boosted the BHP from 143 to 175

ive done over 2k miles since... no problems at all.   total cost...£425

not sure about rules posting / advertising garages etc... so if you are in bham area.. the garage is in blackheath / halesowen area...

let me know if you need further info

Offline MicBarra

• Sport Class
  • Trim: TS
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2012, 09:53:22 am »
I've had a few quotes and that is £100 cheaper than what I have been quoted. Youve done well there mate
You laugh because I'm different.... I laugh because I farted!

Offline Ainaa

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 07:18:30 pm »
Hey,

Could someone please help as I have a Mazda 6 (90,000) on the clock. Quite a good runner considering its cheap and cheerful :)  but I am having a problem. Since last week my engine management light and traction control light has come on.

My friend has looked under the bonnet and found a breather pipe going to a rga valve ripped. He replaced that but the lights are still on. I've taken it into a local garage who informed me that my dpf filter was playing up and needed replaces although this would cost me just under £1000.

Because my DPF light was not on I checked with another garage who gave me the following fault codes;

P242F

P1391F

P2459

C1119

They did a DPF regeneration and cleared all fault codes. This seemed to cure the problem till I drove up a hill in the rain and my traction control light and engine management light came back on. :(.

My question is because my DPF light is off do you think my DPF filter is ok ? And what could be wrong with my traction ?

Regards,

Ainaa

Offline MicBarra

• Sport Class
  • Trim: TS
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2012, 09:10:53 am »
Hi,
Can you confirm that your M6 is a 2006 1.8 model??
My TC and Engine management light has only ever come on my M6 when the battery has been disconnected which yours obviously hasnt.

Is there a sensor or something which can get clogged up which could cause this?
You laugh because I'm different.... I laugh because I farted!

Offline Craigy1D

• TS Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2012, 08:19:35 am »
Hi,

I'm unclear on why it's necessary to have an ECU remap when you have the DPF gutted? Passive regens occur in response to normally driving conditions during which the ECU hasn't changed any aspect of the fueling, etc.

Active regens I wouldn't have thought occur at random, but rather in response to pressure sensors detecting a pressure build up in the exhaust system? If that's the case then gutting the DPF will mean the pressure never builds high enough to trigger an active regen.

So I'm not really sure what the remap is supposed to achieve?

Thanks,
Craig
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:21:24 am by Craigy1D »

Offline jonny007

• S Class
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2013, 12:40:51 pm »
I'm not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere on this site, but I thought this thread would be the best place to post this.

For anyone that doesn't know; the presence of a DPF will become part of the MOT from Feb 2014. If one is found to be missing that was factory fitted, it will apparently be an instant fail.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

Some good discussion on this Skoda thread:
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/297243-dpf-removal-check-to-be-part-of-uk-mot-test-from-february-2014/?st=0

I am not sure how testers will be able to verify that DPFs have been removed as the Mazda's is inside the same 'box' as the CAT. Will have to wait and see how the new guidelines are implemented in Feb. However any 6 owners who have had a 'DPF-tomy' might want to get them MOT'd in Jan.

Thoughts?

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 07:57:24 am »
Chaps,

The dreading DPF light started to flash in my 6 last night. This is after covering 10k miles in 6 months. We are currently trying to get it booked into Invicta Maidstone this morning. Because the missus requires the car for her job I couldn't take any chances.

What does concern me though is that I checked the oil on Tuesday as well as topping up the screenwash and the oil level was fine. It was below full and nowhere near the dreaded "X" mark.

It is 2.5k away from the 62,500 service so I am a bit perplexed as it doesn't require a service yet.

Any Thoughts?

Farnsy

Offline DaVe

• Sport Class
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 12:41:39 pm »
I was talking to two Mazda mechanics Wednedsay, They both said at the moment it will fail if they can clearly see the DPF has been removed, but its not as easy as that because they cant tell unless they remove part of the exhaust system and MOT times will not allow for this as it will take too long to carry out the work, But there is talk and tests higher up about them looking deeper into this regarding software side and in the future it will be tested on the computer and not visual, not sure when or how long these changes will be but they are all aware of these removals and are testing different ways to find out if it has been removed (I think he said Germany is where the tests on the software are being carried out).

Dave

Offline DaVe

• Sport Class
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 12:47:00 pm »
Chaps,

The dreading DPF light started to flash in my 6 last night. This is after covering 10k miles in 6 months. We are currently trying to get it booked into Invicta Maidstone this morning. Because the missus requires the car for her job I couldn't take any chances.

What does concern me though is that I checked the oil on Tuesday as well as topping up the screenwash and the oil level was fine. It was below full and nowhere near the dreaded "X" mark.

It is 2.5k away from the 62,500 service so I am a bit perplexed as it doesn't require a service yet.

Any Thoughts?

Farnsy

The same two Mazda mechanics I spoke to also spoke about the DPF light coming on but they said it could also be related to the cam chain and the issues towards the 2.2 diesel as this could mean the chain needs checking to see if it has stretched.

Dave

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 06:19:13 pm »
Dave,

The misses spoke to Mazda and they said the flashing DPF light was because the car was due a service. I wasn't happy as the car has done approx 10k and not the manufacturers recommended 12.5k for a service interval. What ever happened to the good old spanner indicator?

I will have a discussion with Mazda as I am not impressed, the manual says if the DPF light flashes then take the car to the garage. Using the DPF light as a service indicator is wrong and will ultimately lead to confusion or sheer blind panic  :'(

Farnsy

Offline DaVe

• Sport Class
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 06:28:13 pm »
Dave,

The misses spoke to Mazda and they said the flashing DPF light was because the car was due a service. I wasn't happy as the car has done approx 10k and not the manufacturers recommended 12.5k for a service interval. What ever happened to the good old spanner indicator?

I will have a discussion with Mazda as I am not impressed, the manual says if the DPF light flashes then take the car to the garage. Using the DPF light as a service indicator is wrong and will ultimately lead to confusion or sheer blind panic  :'(

Farnsy

Yeah it is strange to get it flashing for a service most cars usually say (service ---- miles) when you turn the ignition on my on VW you can even turn it off, I think with the chain issue the light stays on but that would still panic anyone, any lights on my dash I automatic think the worst followed by oh god how much..

I wonder if there is a reset like the VW you could do ?

Dave

Offline Little John

• Sport Class
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2014, 01:02:29 pm »
The DPF light sucks.  We were going down to Surrey for Christmas and the DPF light started flashing on the motorway.  Since we had a long way to go we thought we'd better stop and get it checked out.  The guy from Green Flag was pretty adamant that it was a problem and we'd have to be recovered home.  Took it into our local garage the next day (Christmas eve!) and they told me it was a 'software glitch' and they'd reset the software and it was now OK.  Ever since I've been wondering whether what they really meant was 'we forgot to reset the service indicator' when they did the service three months earlier.  Given that the car is out of warranty and they didn't charge me, you have to wonder....