Author Topic: Oil light on - Mazda 6 2009 2.2D Sport  (Read 3826 times)

Offline AndyCardiff

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Oil light on - Mazda 6 2009 2.2D Sport
« on: April 20, 2021, 09:50:50 am »
There's no external oil leak and the dipstick level is fine. The oil light first came on a week ago: I was at traffic lights and realised I needed to be in the other lane so accelerated hard to make sure I'd be ahead, light flickered on at about 4000rpm in first gear.

The next day it came on whilst I was on a dual carriageway, so I stopped and called out Green Flag. They couldn't do anything with it and I drove it two miles home with no issues. Next day went to work (three miles or so) and no issues but the light came on just as I was getting home. I'd been very careful to drive gently.

Took it to ATS and they replaced the pressure sensor switch to no avail. They found evidence that the sump, DPF and turbo have all been taken off in the past but couldn't say any more. It's now at an another garage and they haven't found a solution yet.

I've had the car since January, it's only got 67,000 on the clock and it's got a clean MOT and nothing wrong on the major service I just had done. Any ideas what could be going on?

Offline AndyCardiff

• S Class
Re: Oil light on - Mazda 6 2009 2.2D Sport
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 10:46:21 am »
UPDATE: the garage has said that the engine is "kaput". I didn't get a good feeling about the garage and that's not an acceptable answer. They said that some of the mechanics there have seen Mazdas with this "common fault" and that nobody uses them for taxis any more for that reason.

He said that all the things they would have done to fix it have already been done and it looks like it's just been patched up to last a few more miles.

That doesn't make sense to me, the engine sounds good, the oil is clean, the power is good, the fuel economy is mostly good (but it does fluctuate) and it's flown through a major service and MOT.

Offline captainbongo

• TS Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 09:45:51 am »
I had an oil light issue a few years ago which turned out to be a blocked oil strainer. The fix required a new turbo once the strainer had been cleaned. The dealer suspects supermarket fuel that allegedly doesn't burn as hot and leads to carbon deposits on the strainer. I was advised using a 'premium' diesel every 3/4 fill-ups to avoid the problem again.

Still going strong now on 176k miles!

Offline AndyCardiff

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 10:37:29 pm »
I had an oil light issue a few years ago which turned out to be a blocked oil strainer. The fix required a new turbo once the strainer had been cleaned. The dealer suspects supermarket fuel that allegedly doesn't burn as hot and leads to carbon deposits on the strainer. I was advised using a 'premium' diesel every 3/4 fill-ups to avoid the problem again.

Still going strong now on 176k miles!
New turbo? Ouch!

The main dealer have fixed the problem: it was injector blow-by. They've replaced the injector seals and cleaned out the strainer and it's running great. Maybe there's an underlying issue causing it but no way to tell unless it happens again.