Author Topic: Bose audio problems on a 2009 Mazda 6 Sport  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Kendo

• S Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Bose audio problems on a 2009 Mazda 6 Sport
« on: March 05, 2021, 02:33:59 pm »
Weird problem. I foolishly let the battery run completely flat and replaced it. The audio appears to work but there is no sound. Turn the volume control and nothing happens, no sound, no change on the display. Appears to switch between the modes OK but still no sound. Tried loading a CD. Loaded OK but no sound and wouldn't unload. Then the sound came to life for a traffic announcement and went again.

So the amp still works if you send a sound signal to it, but the head unit is only generating a sound output when the TA breaks in.

Any ideas anyone - they would be much appreciated. I checked the fuse (just in case) and that looks fine. As the car is a 59 plate with 175k on the clock I am not going to spend a lot of money on it. If the worst comes to the worst I'll put a battery powered Bluetooth speaker in the car, which I only expect to keep for a year or two.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
Re: Bose audio problems on a 2009 Mazda 6 Sport
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 05:12:26 pm »
I think it is the traffic announcement option. When I had tried to use mine, I recall being left with no sound after some time. Turned it off and check how it progresses.

Once you disconnect the battery, they lose all settings from the whole can-bus system and everything resets. But the CD will not eject, so not sure if the radio is cooked.

Offline Kendo

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 06:24:20 pm »
Thanks, oddly when I went to the car just now and switched on I was able to eject the CD, so I grabbed that opportunity to get it back. I suspect it is cooked though. Mazda offered to run a diagnostic check on it for £140.... Funny how I declined!

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 03:17:06 pm »
That is success. The electrics on these cars are bit for the giggles but at least the problems come and go. As you say, no guarantee that tomorrow will not refuse another CD but you can a second hand radio for not very much.

On the sport models with the more radio equipment, there are some cheap electronics that you could replace and restore them to life, especially the amp.

Under no circumstances do not allow a Mazda dealer to work on your car. Just forget that they even exist.

Your old battery could come back to life after a charge, either by driving the car or charging it at home. Otherwise keep it aside until the scrap yards open. They buy them for £10 or so.

Offline Kendo

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 02:29:04 pm »
The amp is fine, more prodding has shown the AM/LW tuner works, so I can listen to 5 Live (if you are a total sports fan...). So I shall enquire re head unit. I could just have a Bluetooth speaker in the car but I do like being able to operate things with the proper controls. 

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 01:15:15 pm »
Could you try to disconnect the battery over night and see if it is resets everything again?

Maybe it will come back to its senses like it did with the CD. You never know.

Second hand radios are cheap at £30 but they come with a note that they may need coding to work. I am not sure about that because there is no radio code in the owner's manual but they may mean to configure it for the specific car can-bus.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-6-GH1-MK2-2007-2011-Stereo-Headunit-Radio-CD-Player-GDL1669RX/274330112664?hash=item3fdf595298:g:UgcAAOSwJrBejI39

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-6-2007-2012-MK2-GH-CD-MP3-RADIO-FM-AM-STEREO-HEADUNIT-GS1E669RXA/353373022832?hash=item5246ac6a70:g:gXAAAOSwVT1e541G

You need to go through these steps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN07EsgQgzI

Pay attention not to disconnect anything airbag related.

Offline Kendo

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 03:30:49 pm »
Thanks for that. If I muck up the radio then I've lost nothing but a bit of time, so I shall probably have a go at that. I've always struggled with taking apart the cockpit in the past but the video makes it look reasonably straightforward.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 03:51:28 pm »
Yes it is quite easy to remove things, unless you are a Mazda dealer. Then you break things down. I think the radio will just work plug and play but if it does not, you can always resell. If you are not in a hurry, you could even get it for free from a local scrapyard as some of them tend to just thrown in the cars without removing such items. So if you go and remove it, it could come for free.

Offline Kendo

• S Class
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 05:55:10 pm »
Well kudos to apav, your tip on disconnecting the battery worked! Switch it off and on again, but properly! I left it disconnected over two nights (no particular reason, just didn't get the chance to reconnect it last night).

So, thanks very much again!

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 03:12:12 pm »
You are welcome! That is good news!