Author Topic: Mazda 6 2.2 sport intermittent not starting  (Read 4341 times)

Offline Blunderbus

• S Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Mazda 6 2.2 sport intermittent not starting
« on: April 07, 2022, 08:23:17 pm »
Hello,
Not sure if anyone can help with this but my 2010 2.2 deisel sport has an intermittent error where is does not start. First happened 6 months ago. All is green on dash and start button when I depress clutch but then dash goes haywire when I press start button. Starter not engaging. Various dash lights flash and flicker, rev counter and speedo needles go from min to max and back.
30 minutes later while waiting for breakdown recovery car started fine and no issues. Battery and alternator checked out fine. Car fine for another 3 weeks being used every day. Then did it again. Took to garage when it started 15 minutes later. They checked battery again and alternator (battery only 18 months old) also re-made battery to chassis earth connector as slightly coroded. They also checked for error codes but all ok. Car ran fine for next 4 months no issues. Has now done it twice in 3 weeks. Car is obviously not happy with something at start up as key fob dash and start button is still green.
Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem. The problem with giving the car to a garage is there is no way they can diagnose the fault if the fault 'cures' itself in the process. Car seems to always start again within an hour or so.
Its a long shot I know but wondered if anyone had any ideas what component might cause this error.
Any help appreciated.

Offline chris o

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Mazda 6 2.2 sport intermittent not starting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 04:53:27 pm »
The dash lights flickering and needles moving from min to max means there is a low voltage. When it happened to me the garage renewed the earth cable on the battery and all was fine ever since.

Offline Blunderbus

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 07:06:22 am »
Thanks Chris. The garage have 'refurbished- ground cable but when it does it again I will try connecting a jump lead from battery negative to an earth ooint to see if it improves. Just curious but when you had this problem was it intermittent or would it not start at all until garage replaced the earth cable. Cheers Ian

Offline chris o

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 05:14:35 pm »
Hi Ian, when I had my problem it was intermittent just like yours. It generally happened on the first attempted start up  of the day when everything was cold.  For a while I thought it was a dodgy battery not holding charge but that checked out ok.

A faulty earth lead is a common problem on these cars. Next time it happens you could try a jump lead on the negative terminal to somewhere on the engine block.

Offline Blunderbus

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 07:44:00 am »
Thanks very much Chris. Yes these symptoms sound very similar to mine. I will try connecting jump lead when it does it again.

Offline Blunderbus

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 08:54:12 pm »
Just to put some closure on this. Car completely died one day. Started in the morning and drove to work fine. I stopped the car at work then when to start again but had red button and red key dash light. No ignition at all. Took to garage (on breakdown truck) but couldn't do anything with it. With a heavy heart I decided to scrap it as Mazda charges woukd have cost more than car to fix. I loved my 6 and will remember it fondly. Still miffed though that it didn't last a few more years.