Author Topic: Warning to owners of Chrystal White Pearl Mazda's.  (Read 7803 times)

Offline windows2go

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Warning to owners of Chrystal White Pearl Mazda's.
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:14:34 pm »
 ??? I have a new (in Jan 2011) Mazda 6 Sport in Chrystal White. the 2 part pearlescent type (think it's referred to as 36k) anyway in November 2011 some Audi test pilot ran into the back of me on the way to work on the M60. result-new floor in the boot etc etc but the problem part in all this was the new rear bumper.  the approved Mazda body shop for my area is a garage called Sapphire Garage at Manchester. they picked up my car and I organised a courtesy car through my insurance. all good up to now! quite soon after (aprox 2 weeks) I received a call from the garage saying my car was all done and could I collect it. I made arrangements for the hire car to go back including all the usual rigmarole like lifts to here and drops of there (all in my time and at my expense) anyhow the garage was like wow! more like a film set, all glass desks and high backed chairs and a viewing window to the workshop, it was so clean and vast with what looked like scientist in long white overcoats not mechanics covered in oil and grease they were working on cars draped in protective white covers. there were luxury cars, sport cars not just the normal stuff. I remember thinking to myself "well if it doesn't come out of here right it ever will" soon the obligatory nice lady was here to take me to my car. when we walked through the car park I noticed my car was very tightly parked with other cars all around it so I said I'll move it so I can have a proper look. this appeared to make the nice lady a bit flustered and a little un-easy. soon it was clear why. when I looked at the car the bumper did not match the color of the car in fact it was so bad it you would think it was for a red car it was so far out!!

In no time I was introduced to the "technical manger" a Scottish gentleman called Steve who tried his very very best to convince me and my boss (who'd given me a lift to the garage) that this was as good as it would ever get because of this kind of paint! he said it was to industry standard and "fit for purpose" bla bla Bull**it Bull**it etc. after he had made a complete fool of himself I calmly asked for the garage manager, who was as you usually find in these awkward situations unavailable at this time in fact I was told "he wasn't even in work on that day" (yeh right) anyway after big do's and little do's I told the garage I would not be taking the car and that they should (when done properly) return it to my Mazda dealer who is dealing with the repair on my behalf (or so i thought) I insisted on this so my local Mazda dealer could see just how good there approved body shop were thinking the garage would not dare attempt to return it in anything less than acceptable after their last attempt .

I called in at my Mazda dealers on my way home. After explaining to the Mazda dealer what had happen and to voice my disgust regards there so called approved Mazda body-shop garage and all the inconvenience it had caused me. I was quite surprised and taken aback to hear almost the same excuse's from the Mazda dealer (service manager) with regards to he color match. It was as if he worked for the same garage (I went outside and looked at the name on the wall to remind me of where I was) not only did he sympathized with them. he also said without even seeing the car that it would probably be no better a second time. he added "Paint sprayers back in the day, when it was a proper skill done by proper conscientious garages with reputations to maintain would blend the bumper color into the bodywork of the car, but can't do that now a days because the insurance company's wont pay for it! and that they will only paint then fit the new panel/part" you can imagine his face when I promptly rang my insurance broker and asked him if this was true? my broker informed me that I was basically told a bunch of lies and that the car should be returned in "pre accident condition regardless of the cost" I asked the service/shop manager if he would like to speak to my broker and put him right on this point while I had him on the phone? he declined the offer (cant think why) he did however change his opinion at this time and agreed that the car should be of an acceptable match i.e as good as any Mazda car for sale with the same mileage and color etc. this was good because they had a couple in stock to compare against.

To cut a long long story down the car came back to the dealer's and after a further Five yes Five attempts including personal reassurances from the MD of the garage that they could and would get it right (all this time without a courtesy car remember i'd sent it back) it is now finally back to it's near-as-dam-it right color. (there were many other issues but I think I've gone on for long enough)

The moral of this story has to be. Do not let the garage (or for that matter the dealer) talk you into accepting any work unless you are completely happy with it. after all it is you who will not get the market value for it when selling it on. believe me despite what they want you to think when your taking it off them, they can see exactly and in every minute detail what doesn't match or fit right etc.this will reduce the value of your car. (despite your own story)

I hope Mazda get to see this and sort themselves out. this is costing all the customers who are perhaps are not as "stubborn" as I am. this behavior will eventually cost Mazda their reputation. full story available upon request (as if you can stand any more)

Regards Ian. (apology's for my English grammar)

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Re: Warning to owners of Chrystal White Pearl Mazda's.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:01:26 pm »
Aaagh!!! Why can't garages tell the truth and accept there is a problem that needs to be put right. The answer: "It costs them money". They will therefore try any trick in the book to get you to accept sub-standard work. Good for you for sticking to your guns, I just hope it never happens to me as it's just aggro from start to finish. I'm glad you got it sorted in the end though.

Offline BBOY

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:14:19 pm »
Well done!!!! It must have been a real roller coaster each time you visited to see the car.

Offline Grenache

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sparkling Silver (24E) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:05:29 pm »
That's not so uncommon.  I had a Vauxhall some years ago, and it was ordered from new with towbar.  It was delivered without towbar, but booked in a couple of weeks later to have to towbar fitted.  Upon collection, I noticed that both front wings had been scratched, looks like by the mechanic as he was doing the wiring in the engine compartment.

Anyhow, it took three attempts to spray the car to get the wings to colour-match.

And, yes, it was white!