Author Topic: 2011 Mazda 6 windows Switch  (Read 9667 times)

Offline kgkev

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
2011 Mazda 6 windows Switch
« on: August 17, 2018, 11:29:54 am »
I hope someone can help.  This is my 4th Mazda 6, but my first gen 2.

my problem is the with back light on the electric window switch on a 2011 2.2d Sport.

On all my previous cars every switch had a small back light.  When you pressed the disable button to lock out all other windows only the drivers switch remained lit.

On my new 6 only drivers switch is lit but all others remain dark.     Each of the other switches appear to have a windows to allow the light to pass.

The mazda dealer says the function of the switches is correct, but I am convinced he is lying.

this is what my switch looks like.

is someone with the same age car able to confirm if all the switches should light up?

Thanks

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: 2011 Mazda 6 windows Switch
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 10:45:35 am »
So it does the same thing as in the previous generation.

Yes the manual describes it as you mention, as confirmed by the dealer.

Not really sure where the confusion is.

Offline BBOY

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 12:56:32 pm »
I noticed this in my 2010 model ( now sold) and also thought it was strange to just have the driver's switch to illuminate!!! Hate to say this but I just accepted it. Also I had a cd multi changer button but no actual multi changer again accepted it as a Mazda querk!!! But I understand where you are coming from on this just a bad design choice by them.

Offline kgkev

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 02:12:42 pm »
So it does the same thing as in the previous generation.

Yes the manual describes it as you mention, as confirmed by the dealer.

Not really sure where the confusion is.

It is not the same as the previous gen.

GEN1 the switch light showed if the window was active or disabled.

GEN2 only the drivers switch is back lit.  Dispute all other switches having a cut out for a bulb

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 08:29:03 am »
I only have the second generation car and what you describe, is what the manual mentions. You press the button, the lights go off to indicate which one can be operated. For safety reasons it says that you should lock the other windows. I think this is how they wanted to make it. So in the second generation car, if there is no light, you cannot use the window from the specific door switch.

But then you say that the first generation car also has a light to indicate whether it is disabled. I am not sure whether it means the same as the second generation car. I have not checked whether the other switches are illuminated. Maybe that is what you mean when you compare with the first generation. But for the second generation switch, it has separate illuminations for each window and when you press the button, it just shows the driver's one.

Offline kgkev

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 12:50:59 pm »
Sorry I don't think I've been clear.

The gen 1.   
4 lights on = 4 Windows operational
1 light on = 1 windowed operational

My car
1 light on = all Windows active
Press the button.   Still 1 light on...only drivers window active

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 06:36:52 am »
OK something is going wrong with the lights then.

When you presss the button, it cuts off all the lights except the driver's window and that is the only window you can use. Maybe in your car the lights have gone bad but the rest of the operation works fine.

You may be able to replace the bulb but I assume that you have to find a way to remove the switch. You my need to replace the whole switch. This may be worthy if the mirror switch is not working properly. But if it is only for the lights, it may not be worthy.

When I had the handbrake cable replaced, the garage made a mess with the car and the airbag light came on. It turns out that when they removed the plastics at the centre console, they manage to remove the bulb of the passenger's airbag deactivation, the one in front of the gear lever. After removing the plastics and reattaching the bulb, the light went off. Based on this experience, there my be a similar bulb in that windows switch and it has come off with a harsh closure. If you could open it and find out whether that is the case, you could replace that bulb. For the airbg it was a capless wedge bulb of 1.7W but luckily it was fine. If there is no bulb and you have to buy a new switch, I assume that it is expensive and a faulty mirrow switch may make it worthy replacing it.

Offline kgkev

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 07:03:20 am »
Hi Apav, I still have 1 month left on the warranty, so I just need some proof that other cars the same as mine operate different.
Would you mind telling me the registration number of your car (maybe via PM?).  I will check the part number of the switch of both our cars and i think this would be enough for Mazda to dig a little deeper into my issue.

Thanks

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 07:31:06 am »
The registration number of a car does not guarantee identification of a specific car and I would not advise passing that information on a public forum or by PM.

If Apav is willing , then the VIN  number is a better option.   
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 05:21:52 pm »
You two scare me! hehehe! OK, leave aside the sensitive information for the moment.

What car do you have and it is still under warranty? I have a 1/2009 car, which is one of the very first second generation cars.

My switch does what the owner's manual describes. So if you have the same car, you should be able to follow up and ask them to check it.

If you have bought an approved used second generation car, they may hesitate to fix something like that because it is a hit in the unknown, especially as in one month the warranty expires and they will not hear from you again.

You can ask them whether there is a bulb in the switch. If there is, it may need replacement or re-fit it if it has falled after a harsh door closure.

If you manage to sweet talk them to open the door and investigate, make sure you get reassurance in writting (I know) that they will not break anything. After so many years being fitted, these plastics can start breaking up.

My door does some funny noises on hot weather and some foam layer is trying to escape from a mini gap, but I am not even thinking to open it up and check the switch for the mirror adjustment.

When I got mine, I had emailed the customer services and they had come with some replies about technical details. So if you could email them and ask them to confirm the operation of the lights in the context that your car does not do what the manual description and the dealer is, they are all like that sir, without checking it, they may come back with some explanation.

I had a quick search for a windows switch and it may cost a small fortune to get it from a dealer. There are used items for £100-£150!

I think your switch may needs some investigation if you want to make the lights work properly, but I do not think it is faulty. I do not think that the illumination comes from the switch but I can be wrong. I feel it is like all other illuminating switches. There is a small wedge bulb doing that. That is the case with the centre console illuminations as I found out when I removed it for the airbag bulb. There is a bulb behind every switch. I think the window switch is like that. When I tried it on Sunday, you can hardly see the lighting, so it must be something very small in there.

Offline kgkev

• S Class
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 06:54:13 pm »
Mine is a  2011 bought from Mazda with a 12 month warranty.  They have been pretty good.  Had some warm start problems,  where it took too many turns to start when warm. They fitted new injectors and did the 75k service for free. 

I used a reg from a gen 2 from 2009  that i found on ebay

It has a different Mazda part number to the switch for my car.
Although they look identical.

The guy from the Mazda dealer couldn't tell me why they were different. 
Maybe the service manager wasn't lying....maybe

Offline madvis

• S Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 01:37:50 pm »
Sorry I don't think I've been clear.

The gen 1.   
4 lights on = 4 Windows operational
1 light on = 1 windowed operational

My car
1 light on = all Windows active
Press the button.   Still 1 light on...only drivers window active

This is exactly as it is in my Mazda. I have stripped the unit and on the circuit board are places for LED's for the other switches but the LED's have not been fitted. Probable to save a few pence.
I have been looking for some LED's the same spec as the one fitted but so far can not locate a supplier. When I do I will fit the extra 3.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.????

Offline kgkev

• S Class
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 03:29:03 pm »
If you do find a suitable bulb please let me know and I'll have a crack myself

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 05:55:26 pm »
Are you sure they are not wedge bulbs?

When I was looking for number plate and parking lights bulbs, all of them are W5W bulbs, I noticed that there are a lot of the same fitment but come as LED. I am not sure how road legal they are. So I bought some normal W5W bulbs. Halfords sells them £2 for a pack of two. In Amazon you can buy 10 of them that come in a hand packed box for £1.50. So I got these ones. 10 bulbs arrives, all of them of different sizes! Like they are hand made. At least they work.

These funny looking bulbs appear to have been used in the interior lighting as well. The garage managed to illuminate the airbag light and after searching for the root of the problem, I discovered that the centre console lighting, comes from wedge bulbs. When you turn the key, you will notice that the passenger air bag light comes on and then after 5 seconds it goes off. This is a standard wedge bulb behind it. It is exactly the same as the outdoors one but small Watts. This one is 1.7W instead of 5W. Luckily I did not have to buy it. You can buy them online, again from Amazon. I even found the official Mazda part bulb at 11 something US dollars which did not make sense when the outdoor ones, as so cheap. But at least you can buy them from motorbike stores for less money.

Your best bet is to remove the old bulb and based on that to buy a new one. Something like that may solve the problem:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1366&bih=654&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=JtCKW87kL5CQlwTO2qKICA&q=1.7+w+wedge+bulb&oq=1.7+w+wedge+bulb&gs_l=img.3...47507.54314.0.55055.16.16.0.0.0.0.143.1819.0j14.14.0....0...1c.1.64.img..2.5.682...0j0i67k1j0i5i30k1j0i8i30k1.0.M0eN3Wn2OVk

Offline Browny_37

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 12:31:59 am »
I have the same issue.
I had a 2009 GH Sport and all 4 window lights illuminated until pressing the cancel button.

My 2012 GH Sport only illuminates the drivers window regardless of the cancel switch position.

Never chased it down though.