Author Topic: Drivers Seat  (Read 64041 times)

Offline davidlang

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Drivers Seat
« on: November 08, 2011, 12:47:07 pm »
The other day I found four washers on the floor of the car and noticed that the drivers seat was a little less stable than usual when going round corners. I popped into my local dealer assuming that they could supply me with a nut and bolt ( which surprisingly I have not yet found in the car) but they could not help me.
Can anyone tell me how this all should go together?

Offline maddog655

• S Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Re: Drivers Seat
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:04:12 pm »
yes I have the same problem.

It was inspected by my local main dealer and the weld has broken on the front of the frame and the washers are off. The seat rocks and on long journeys gives me a pain in the back.

Spoke to a Mazda fitter and it is a known fault.

Dealer has ordered me a new seat frame but it will take a few weeks and has to be authorised by Mazda head office.

Go to your dealer and tell him you know it's a known fault and you want a new seat frame.

Offline andyk3090

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: LPG
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 09:12:14 pm »
There was lots of seat issue posts on the last forum for the 6. These ranged from squeeking seats to loose seats. I had a squeeking seat on my last 6, but just lived with it. Some dealers were reported tying to lubricate the frame fixings to others replacing the frame. Some others from the old forum may have more info.

Regards
Andy

Offline maddog655

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 04:20:30 pm »
according to the mechanics at the Mazda dealer the metal used for the frame is too thin and cracks easily.

Offline monkeez

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 06:48:01 am »
ive just discovered that my drivers seat has a slight forward/backward rock to it, is this the same as descried above?
if so will it be covered under the manufacturers warranty (which runs out in April)

Offline monkeez

• Sport Class
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 07:55:28 am »
ive just discovered that my drivers seat has a slight forward/backward rock to it, is this the same as descried above?
if so will it be covered under the manufacturers warranty (which runs out in April)

just phoned Mazda and they confirm that it is a known issue and they are going to sort it out

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:01:54 pm »
Hi Monkeez - Just wondered what the state of play is with your drivers seat please?  Chatting to my dealer re another issue and I mentioned my drivers seat was creaking. He suggested I book it in to have it inspected. However, this will not be until 30th April as that's when a courtesy vehicle becomes available - he thinks it may need to be with them for"several days" as there is little point stripping it and rebuilding it just to do it all again if a part needs ordering. Anybody else had this scenario? Thanks, David.

Offline monkeez

• Sport Class
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:44:43 am »
David - the dealer took my car in for a day to strip the seat down to find the problem. They said it was the seat frame/slider unit thingy of which there is a known issue. So they gave me the car back the same day and ordered the part.  They took the car in the following week in the morning, replaced the part and i got the car back the same day.

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 08:07:30 pm »
Thanks for that. Yes that seems to fit with my dealers thinking - other than they seem to prefer (potentially) not to have to take down and rebuild the seat twice but rather put me in a courtesy car until the job is finished.

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 11:09:02 am »
Just one more thing and then I promise I'll change the record  ::). Curiosity killed the cat - but satisfaction brought it back. Can anyone with a 2008/9 latest shape 6 please get hold of the head rest, try and rock the drivers seat forward and tell me if there's any movement at all. Mine has very slight movement on all the seat ( back and squab together). ie what's acceptable and what isn't. For the record the car has covered 35K. Thank you in advance! Cheers, David.

Offline Davith82

• S Class
  • Colour: Strato Blue (25E) Metallic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 07:21:58 pm »
I seem to have a slight problem with mine. Normal driving is fine but if I go round a round about and the straighten up a bit quick or sometimes take a bend a bit fast I hear like a clicking sound, I think its defiantly the seat as I can feel it. The seat feels solid if I try and move it when the car is parked but add my weight and a bit of g force and it does not feel right. Thinking about taking it in but I imagine the dealer will say its ok as it does not do it all the time.

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:43:25 am »
Hi David,  Humph! - Not an easy one this, as far as I'm concerned. If you look at the number of people that have read this thread and the number of responses you might think this isn't an issue. I wonder, however, if it's the sort of issue that owners dismiss and live with? As I say, my seat "groans" a bit on roudabouts and tight bends, has very very slight movement fore and aft if rocked when empty and it sometimes makes a type of sideways "clicking" sound on tight bends. I was in two minds as it doesn't amount to much, so I mentioned it in passing to the dealer when I was there for something else. He seemed to take it more seriously than I expected. It goes in the week after next and the reason for the delay is that he suggested I had a courtesy car in case he needed to order parts. At the moment the car is under warranty and I don't want to get stung for a boat load of seat bits, say, next year if something snaps!

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 04:35:02 pm »
Mines been doing this for a while now, will get them to look at it when it goes in.

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 08:10:33 am »
Hi,  Mine is with the dealer as I write - booked in for a full week - to sort this issue. I'll report the outcome when it returns.

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 07:47:51 am »
Well - It was with the dealer for 4 days. Seat tested and completely stripped apart. Creaking and squeaking originated from backrest which has been refurbished with new insulation between the parts. Completed under Mazda extended warranty. Long test yesterday. Completely cured. Long may it continue.