Author Topic: A/C compressor failure  (Read 5539 times)

Offline A1Dan

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
A/C compressor failure
« on: August 31, 2016, 11:53:44 am »
The a/c compressor for my 2009 2.2D failed a couple of years back.  Rather than shell out £500 on a new one, I thought I'd take a punt on a used one off ebay for £80.  It worked OK for the first year or two, but has now also failed.

So I'm wondering if people have found that these compressors all have a limited life, and hence a used one is always liable to fail before long?  Or have I just been unlucky?

Any general advice on a way of getting my a/c back without shelling out £500 much appreciated!

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Re: A/C compressor failure
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 06:31:53 pm »
You've been unlucky to have two go wrong. Is it the way you are or aren't using it. The A/C should be operated on a fairly regular basis to circulate the refrigerant and oil. It stops the seals from hardening and eventually failing. Obviously the A/C is used during the summer so no worries, but you should also operate it at times during the winter period. The worse thing you can do is leave it off during the winter and then expect it to function properly when you need it in the summer. I assume you have checked that you have refrigerant in the system before blaming the compressor.