Author Topic: Traction warning light stays on.  (Read 7550 times)

Offline JerryB

• S Class
  • Colour: Titanium Grey II (29Y) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2002
Traction warning light stays on.
« on: August 30, 2016, 05:25:17 pm »
My traction warning light has lit up and won't go off.  Also the handbrake warning light.  I had some work done on the rear brakes a couple of months ago which resulted in a return to the garage to free off one of the calipers. Car was fine for two months until brake stuck on again whilst on holiday in Devon.  Managed to free it off by pumping brakes and hasn't been a problem since returning to flat Suffolk.  However, I now have these 2 warning lights although everything seems to work. DSC light does not come on, just the one with the skidding car icon.  Last time I had warning light trouble it was attributed to low battery which I resolved with a couple of thrashes up the local bypass. Car is an 02 diesel with 177k on the clock although I have worked locally for last 3 years so annual miles have dropped considerably.  Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Re: Traction warning light stays on.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 06:14:02 pm »
If you have had work done to the brakes, it could be one of the traction control sensors that has been dislodged or broken.

Offline JerryB

• S Class
  • Colour: Titanium Grey II (29Y) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 11:15:40 am »
Thanks for responding. I must now make an embarrassing admission.  Just after posting my question I did the unthinkable and checked the manual which advised me to check the brake fluid level. Sure enough the level was low. I topped it up and the lights went out.  I am keeping a close eye on the fluid level in case I am losing any.  I feel a proper fool for not checking before I posted. In my defence I think it's a sad reflection on modern motoring that I automatically assume something complex is amiss when a warning light comes on.
Onwards and upwards. ::)

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 12:01:51 pm »
It's great when there is a simple answer to a perceived problem.