Author Topic: Mazda 6 GH6 electro mechanical steering failure  (Read 4404 times)

Offline ytkpourv

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2013
Mazda 6 GH6 electro mechanical steering failure
« on: January 07, 2019, 11:37:13 am »
My Mazda 6 GH6 (2013 with 66,666 km on the clock) has suffered power steering failure.  It's the electro mechanical type.  The other day I was parking and all of a sudden the steering started to get really heavy so much so that I couldn't turn the steering wheel at all!  I turned it off and waited 5 mins and tried again and it worked but only for a minute and the same thing happened.  Brought it to my local indy garage who said there wasn't any known recalls of this type and so the only option was to have the whole steering unit sent to a place in Dublin (Ireland) for a refurbishment as a new Mazda unit would have been around €1800 excluding fitting.  Have to wait 2 weeks now for the part to be mended and returned to the garage for fitting so I'm looking at around €1200.  Has this happened anyone else?  Am I going down the right track here or is this something like a design flaw that Mazda should cover?  PS my front tires were wearing down crazy on the outside (not inside) if that might have anything to do with it like cause or effect.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Mazda 6 GH6 electro mechanical steering failure
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:43:55 pm »
I think there were older posts about that. You can investigate with Mazda and compare the costs. But if the car is fine when driving, keep in mind that when you stress the power steering with continuous movement like turning the wheel without moving, then try to park, then turning the wheel again without moving, etc, it warms up so badly that it shuts off. This is on the owner's manual. When it cools down, it works again. If you have been doing this kind of parking for the last 6 years, maybe it is time for the part to fail. You should check the suspension for the tyres wear and align the wheels if the suspension is fine.