Author Topic: Some important information for you all.  (Read 7462 times)

Offline hodgsonp51

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Some important information for you all.
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:16:50 pm »
You may have seen my previous post about a serious engine knock after the oil pressure warning light came on, after only having a 2.2d sport estate for 2 days.
The engine has now been fully stripped down, and the cause and damage listed. The worst thing about this, is that it has been rejected by the warranty company as a legitimate claim, and luckily I have managed to get a full refund on the car.
I seriously recommend getting your injector seals checked more regulary than mazda suggests.
See the engineers report below.

Customer advised that oil warning light came on then engine started making a loud clanking noise.

Vehicle recovered in.

Investigate engine fault, found engine very loud, checked oil level- level good and no fault codes stored in PCM.

Removed sump pan and oil pump and sandwich plate to inspect crankshaft main bearings.

Removed bearings from connecting rods and found 2 big end bearings and main bearings excessively worn (see pictures)and oil strainer

filled with debris.

Carried out further investagtion to find out cause of big end and main bearings to fail, removed cylinder head and checked all

rockers and cylinder head for cracks, no cracks found. Found number 1 Injector excessively covered in carbon and hard to

remove from cylinder head, and blowing past injector seal causing oil streainer to block resulting in big end and main bearings to

wear and crankshaft to wear. Technician has advised after consulting Mazda technical that short engine needs to be replaced along with

new fuel injector, set of injector seals and leak off pipes, engine gasket set and oil strainer pick up (Balancer unit).

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2013
Re: Some important information for you all.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:28:21 pm »
Good job you got your money back, cannot imagine a short engine plus fitting will be cheap. How many miles had yours done ?

Offline hodgsonp51

• S Class
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:41:20 pm »
Around 32k

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:23:07 pm »
I guess its one of those things, mines done 67k without missing a beat. Has it had work done on the faulty injector ?

Offline PanPilot

• S Class
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 03:10:13 pm »
 A similar thing happened to my 2014 2.2D at 27K or so. In my case there was absolutely no warning, no knock, no lights. Main bearing wiped, shell picked up and seized onto the crank, overlapped the other shell and jammed the crank, fortunately at idle. Dealer stripped the engine, found evidence of the cam journals wiped too (they run directly in the ally head) so the whole engine was replaced under warranty.
 I believe that there was a batch of 2.2D engines installed in 2014 which were recalled for replacement of the injector seals, I was told they weren't torqued properly, causing failure in the way you describe, but don't know the truth of it.
 This, along with the over-regen / diesel dilution problem, has made me paranoid; so the new engine gets 6K mile oil changes... especially since the recommended oil is as thin as tea...
 Lovely car otherwise !