Author Topic: 2.0i Hesitation / Surge on Light Throttle  (Read 24973 times)

Offline richyrich

• S Class
  • Colour: Phantom Blue Mica (32C) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2007
Re: 2.0i Hesitation / Surge on Light Throttle
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 10:48:08 am »
I replaced the pre-cat sensor mate.

Offline Cameron

• S Class
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 09:56:26 am »
Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of this? I have the same thing on mine. I have taken it to a diagnostics company who suggested chainging Air flow meter and that there is a huge carbon build up in the manifold, which turned new plugs black after two days. Just checking if anyone else has managed to resolve this, before I start changing parts.

Offline Cameron

• S Class
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 10:05:15 am »
Hi,

I have a 2006 Mazda 6 2.0 petrol, I have only owned the car a few weeks and when accelerating the car hesitates/ shudders/ surges. It is most noticeable under light throttle and improves over 3500rpm but is still down on power. There is no engine light on and no codes are displayed. I have taken it to a diagnostics company who said to replace the Air flow sensor and that the manifold has a huge carbon build up in it which has turned new spark plugs black within two days. I can see a few posts from people with similar problems and was wondering if anyone has managed to fix it?

Any help much appreciated.

Offline janekdob

• S Class
  • Colour: Cosmic Blue Mica (34M) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 11:59:03 am »
On my diesel, a similar issue was solved with a new fuel filter, but this may be a Red Herring on a Petrol ?

Offline Patrick6

• S Class
  • Colour: Galaxy Grey (32S) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Trim: S
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 07:31:57 pm »
A similar issue has affected my 2007 1.8. Coincidentally,  this just started to happen after it failed to start due to a low battery. I've coaxed the battery back to life, and I thought the surging was related to something to do with the charging circuit. Maybe it is, but I've changed the air filter and spark plugs,  which were due anyway,  but the issue is there when idling or under light throttle conditions.
It's been on a diagnostic computer,  but no fault found. The throttle body looks quite clean and there doesn't appear to be a vacuum leak.
The car is good as gold otherwise,  but I reckon this will run until it throws on the Engine Management light, whereby I'll get some direction.
Is there an alternator or battery check which might eliminate that line of enquiry? (varying load on the Engine?)

Offline Cameron

• S Class
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 10:24:29 pm »
Thank you for your reply. Apparently the fuel filter is built into the fuel tank on the petrol and supposedly good for the life of the car.

Offline Cameron

• S Class
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 10:35:39 pm »
I've also fitted new plugs with no improvement. I had a diagnostics check and no fault code was shown due to no engine light being on. They cleaned the throttle body, checked the coils, they tried a different air flow sensor that helped slightly but still a noticeable hesitation and jerking up to around 3500rpm when you get a surge of power. I will look into the battery power theory.

Offline Patrick6

• S Class
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 02:12:26 am »
I've thought about the logic behind the surging,  and my battery / alternator theory doesn't seem that likely, albeit the discharge issue seems like it might have a link, however unlikely.
The hunting is probably some parameter within the fuel system (fuel - air - revs reading etc) that has gone off somehow. Maybe my low battery has damaged a sensor,  but not enough for a code to be generated. But, like you, I'll try anything that doesn't require a £100 part-punt!
Cheers

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 10:53:28 am »
Gents,

I had a very similar experience in September last year. My 2010 2.2d Sport was hesitating / surging under light acceleration. The engine management light came on and the fault code was fuel pressure, which is a very generic fault code.

To cut a long story short, it turned out that the wiring loom from the ECU to the fuel system was damaged. This was caused by an incompetent Mazda dealership who I have mentioned in a previous thread. A new wire was run and the problem was sorted.

This might not be the cause of your issues but it might be worth checking the wiring for damage. It doesn't take much for a mechanic / technician to be fooling around with the ECU and to inadvertantly damage the wires or connections, as I found out.

Farnsy

Offline Cameron

• S Class
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 07:58:04 pm »
Hi,

I purchased a 2006 Mazda 6 2.0 petrol a month ago. I noticed it was hesitant, jerky and surging on acceleration some times then a week after purchase it started to misfire and the engine light came on. I took it back to the dealer who took it to a repair garage he used and after a day of checks found a valve had burnt out. They replaced the valve and some seals, skimmed the head and replaced head gasket, new plugs etc. Picked it up a few weeks later and the hesitant jerky acceleration was constant. Took it back and they replaced lambda sensors but emissions were high and looked at injectors and replaced two of them and then the emissions were perfect but the hesitation is still there at low revs when accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gear. They have told me that these engines are like this due to the style of variable timing used that can cause jerky, hesitant acceleration on low revs. Is this a common symptom on these engines?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 09:41:47 am »
Cameron :  I have merged your post with the above topic.  It covers the same issue.  There are further postings regarding this same issue, that can be found by using the search function.   :)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline Patrick6

• S Class
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 10:51:13 am »
Well, it seems that after alot of head scratching and even consulting several mechanics, none of whom were able to identify the problem, I eventually got to the bottom of the issue (for me, at least). Mine is a 2007 1.8S, by the way.
The surging/hesitancy seemed to be getting worse if anything. I had a few people attach diagnostics to the car, but there were no fault codes nor engine managment lights. Which I am grateful for!

I got myself a bluetooth OBD and the only thing i could see odd was the fuel trim being higher than you'd expect. It was displaying 20% rather than averaging zero, and I think that it's a fine-adjustment to the fuel being delivered.Now, I had to look up what this meant and a fair bit of on-line research, but t was pushing me in the direction of the pre-cat lambda sensor.

I then had a look around and got in touch with a supplier who was able to corroborate my findings and a replacement item was just over £170.

I fitted it myselk which was a bit awkward (two electrical connectors, one small retaining bracket and getting the plug out required several new swear-words), but the result has been very satisfying after driving around the problem for so long. It fuels and picks up just as you'd want it. I hope it stays like this, as the car has 110,000 miles on and is is great shape. I was offered £500 for it as a trade in last year and whilst £170 was a bit suck-it-and-see, it's great to have it back to good. I'd like to thinkn that the fuel economy might improve, but with the car's short-run lifestyle, it'll not show much.