Author Topic: Radio adaptor  (Read 6466 times)

Offline Dodsie75

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Radio adaptor
« on: September 14, 2018, 07:43:48 am »
Apologies no doubt this has been covered several times before but I've searched to no avail. I've just bought a 2009 6 and the interior is very tired, I have cleaned it up the best I can and it certainly looking better. But the radio is very scratched, so I am looking at buying an adaptor and fitting a double din after market stereo. My question is, how do I adjust the clock setting and swap between clock and range when the buttons have gone? Any info would be much appreciated.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
Re: Radio adaptor
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 02:36:16 pm »
Probably you will lose it but the new radio will have a clock. From the steering wheel you can only move over the options but I do not think you can change to check the time. If you are desparate to change it, you can buy a used one in better condition and try to sell back yours.

They are not that cheap, a quick search on ebay returns most of them around the £50 mark. Probably these come from cars scrapped for a few quid of repairs, so it is strange that they can still sell them that much.

Offline Dodsie75

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 02:54:49 pm »
Hi, thanks for your reply. I was thinking I would lose it to be honest, I think you will be right about a clock on the stereo. It was more the petrol range I didn't want to lose. I may have to take it all in bits and see the range remains on the screen. Thanks again your advice.

Offline Dodsie75

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 05:01:53 pm »
I suppose my next question is (to save me taking it all apart) could someone kindly let me know what stays on the screen after fitting an aftermarket stereo please? Again I would be very grateful.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 01:14:33 pm »
Are you sure that a new radio will affect the screen? If that was the case, then you would have also have troubles with the heater. You can control everything from the steering wheel except the clock. At the end of the day, it may be down to the combination of radio and adapter.

Offline Dodsie75

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 06:54:27 pm »
Thanks for your reply mate. I know what you mean but the heater controls will still be there, it's the clock/range button that are on the stereo that won't be there if I remove the stereo. The screen will still be the same but the drivers side corner is the clock/range so I'm curious to know what it will display, if anything when the stereo is removed.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 09:19:10 pm »
I do not think the radio is connected in that way to the screen. That is why I mentioned the heater controls. If by removing the radio you impact the screen, then you would also miss the other information like the temperature.

If you do not want to replace the radio with the same one in better condition, a good adapter that will keep most of the functionality live, will help you get everything working.

Offline Dodsie75

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 07:44:14 am »
On my radio it has a "clock" button. On the right hand corner of the screen is the clock and if I press the clock button changes to the range of fuel I have left. If I fit an adaptor I will lose the "clock" button. I have a radio harness coming so I will give it a try with an aftermarket stereo so see what happens. I shall report back!

Offline Dodsie75

• S Class
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 06:33:46 pm »
Good news! Wiring harness turned up today so I plugged the aftermarket stereo in and the screen stays on fuel range so happy days! So I will be turning my attention to fitting it for real!