Author Topic: Tyre Recommendations?  (Read 60454 times)

Offline BBOY

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Re: Tyre Recommendations?
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2013, 08:02:15 pm »
I have just changed all four tyres to Goodyear efficient grip performance £292 fully fitted through black circles 205 55 r16 91v.
Had Bridgestone ER300 (36000 miles, down to legal limit) and Falken 912 (28000 miles, down to 1.9mm) before and had alternated from front to back.
Found Bridgestones noisy even from new but can't fault wear, Falken I found better all round but not as good wear.
Hopefully the Goodyear give me the Bridgestone wear and as good if not better Falken performance.

I know what you mean by Bridgestone wear have these on my rear, original tyres with 53,000 on the clock. The front is a different story as I'm on my third set.

Offline oldman

• Sport Class
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2013, 01:59:07 pm »
decided to go with the falken 914 and see how these goes.
110 a corner and only needed new fronts

replaced falken 452, but can't find receipt to say when i had these on the car!

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2013, 10:32:40 am »
I was told by Mazda that the offside front tyre had a split and is illegal. I have now ordered two new front tyres - Continental Sport Contact @ £155 a corner. The tyre dealer recommended Kumho KU31 as he runs these on his heavily tuned ST. I wasn't convinced though. I was going to try Avon's but they weren't much difference in price compared to the Conti's.

I was surprised by the difference in price RE the aspect ratios's. Has anyone put 225/40/18 on their diesel Sport and if so, is there a noticible difference in ride, road noise etc?

The most annoying thing (apart from being 4 weeks from Christmas) is that the front's have a decent amount of tread left.

I am going to use the undamaged front tyre and stick it on a spare once I have sourced an alloy.

I suppose this has given me a kick up the backside to sort out the spare as well as the remedial work to the boot to put the bloody thing in.

Farnsy

Offline andywolfie

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2013, 01:52:37 pm »
I had those Kuhmo's fitted to my car last year and had them replaced this summer as the wear was terrible, I know my car has 170 bhp but that was driving normally most of the time, I changed them all this year an went for the Avon ZZ5 and they are proving great so far, much quieter too, I also did some research and change the size of the tyre, I went for 235/40/18 and it's within the recommended +/- 2.5% tolerance and I haven't noticed any difference in ride quality etc, and as it's a more common size the tyres are so much cheaper too, hope that helps a bit!

Andy

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2013, 06:30:12 am »
Andy,

Yes it does, cheers mate.

225/45/18 is a pig of a size. The again I can't moan as I knew what I was letting myself in for when I bought the Sport model. I do prefer the 18" wheels over the 16" from the 2003 model.

Farnsy

Offline yorks

• S Class
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2014, 10:01:43 pm »
Hi guys,new member here. Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up about camskill.I got a great price on a couple of Uniroyal rainsport 3's. Excellebt communication from them and tyres were deliveredto me the day after i ordered. I am very happy with the tyres but will obviously report back on them after I have had them for a while.

Offline SM25T

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2014, 09:14:11 pm »
 8)

Offline MartinZoomZoom

• S Class
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2017, 11:19:07 am »
I would thoroughly recommend Avon Tyres. I spotted a comment that someone considers them on a par with Bridgestone! Well I have had both on my car and can say 100% that the Avon's are far superior. You will know the tendency of the inside front well to spin when making a quick start, like pulling out at a road junction and turning 90 degrees. Well the Bridgestone's did this all of the time in the wet and sometimes in the dry too. The Avon's never ever do this in the dry and very very rarely in the extreme wet. Avon's are superb on cornering too and last well. What more is there to know?

Offline Cee-Jay-Cee

• TS Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Trim: Takuya
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2017, 02:04:21 pm »
I recently fitted Avon ZZ5's and while performance with them is top notch, I find them a bit noisy however theyre on now and so will just have to suffer the extra noise but wouldn't fit them again for that reason.

Before fitting them I read endless reviews on them from various car owners and it appears that theyre a reasonably hard wearing tyre (which probably accounts for the noise) but that also means I may have to suffer that noise for longer than if I had picked a softer compound stickier tyre.