Author Topic: Mystery bolt  (Read 15413 times)

Offline Willj1680

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Mystery bolt
« on: September 05, 2020, 06:08:00 pm »
found this on my drive and im guessing its come from the car, iv no idea where! any suggestions?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2009
Re: Mystery bolt
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 01:37:21 pm »
That looks like a dead serious bolt.

Email it to Mazda and if they can recognise it, you have something to work with.

Otherwise you can check various bits here and there but it does not look like a suspension or brakes, or something similarly exposed part of the car, because it is not rusty.

That bit on the left side that has the 2 round marks, indicates that it is something that rotates and has friction on these 2 marks.

Hopefully it is not some part of the drivetrain but if it may be, then the car may not drive.

Anyway, if you like DIY, you need to get under the car. If you cannot check it for yourself, you can take it to a garage.

Offline Willj1680

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 02:24:13 pm »
These things always happen at the most inconvenient times! I have 1000 miles to drive this week and between work and the kids I have no time for garages before i go.

Iv done 60 mile and haven't noticed any change to the drivability. Iv looked under as best I can without lifting and cant see anything out of place. I thought the same with the rotating around the black marks, i also thought there should be signs of oil if that was the case. I also thought the skinny end is too thin and weak for anything load bearing. Im hoping it doesn't lead to a big bill.. costing me a fortune at the min!

I will do as you suggested and email the pic to mazda, Im hoping a mechanic will see it here too

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 02:36:47 pm »
It is always like that with troubles.

You could try to go to the local garage first thing in the morning and just show him the bolt and get an opinion.

It does not look like a double end bolt, it is blurry on the far side of the photo, but it is some kind of shoulder bolt.

But then it adds this thead on the left side on top of the torx. So it is like it enters something to secure it but I am not sure what the thread is on the left and the round marks.

For sure it cannot be from the brakes or suspension as it is not rusty and so it is not exposed.

I tried the google images:

https://images.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl

You upload an image and it searches based on that. But it just returned cylinder. Maybe if you could take a better photo, it may find something more interesting.

Offline Willj1680

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 09:15:45 pm »
so after taking all the wheels of yesterday for a look underneath (kids sat on cushions and watched in disgust at my dirty hands ha), my wife took the bolt to the garage nearby today, and i emailed mazda to no joy, I try google lens and discover its of a bicycle  ::)  it connects a pedal. I feel daft but when its halfway up a gravel drive when none of us cycle and we haven't had visitors what else could I think haha

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 12:52:01 am »
That is happy ending though, good job!