Author Topic: 2018 "PCM Reprogramming Campaign"?  (Read 12527 times)

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
Re: 2018 "PCM Reprogramming Campaign"?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 08:52:23 pm »
New standards are only for new cars. So it must be something else like a regular update. Moreover, as the government will Brexit, there is no need to comply with EU law after the cliff jump. So it will be extreme to make the older cars comply.

I would tend to disagree with part of your statement.
Regardless of Brexit, the emissions is part of the Paris Agreement which is World Wide (  though you go to the US and they drive down the street in huge great clunkers, just to buy a newspaper, nobody thinks of walking or using a bus to work).  Then you have the Kahn Stealth Tax  effect in  London and other large cities  plus the government decreeing  Electric cars by 2022 or so.
Wasn't there a Car Scrappage scheme a few years ago using failing emissions to scrap them and boost the economy by people buying new cars. They cannot tax them much more so they scrap them. I was paying £250  car tax 6 years ago on a 14 year old diesel, now I am paying £20  on a 5 year old diesel, a neighbour with a petrol of the same year is paying £140.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 05:53:43 pm »
Yes I suppose the Brexit comment sounds more like a failed joke now that the car companies are leaving but I think a widespread deregulation may follow as they already scrap basic human rights that they do not want to pass to the new laws. It is a wait and see game but if any car manufacturer stays behind, they will produce EU compliant cars to sell them to Europe, so the local law will somehow approve them. It seems very difficult to believe that the public will start buying brand new Russian/Chinese/Other similar new old cars that are based on past regulations after they got used to cheap finance and niche models, but somehow the government argues that this what they people want to do.

Maybe the car tax increase will do the trick as well. But I think this works only for the most expensive £500+ tax. There were cars like the Daewoo Tacuma that suddendly got a £500 per year tax and people started selling them for nothing. But even that is something like £10 per week like buying a meal deal insteading of cooking at home once per week. So some people will still keep the cars they like.

I think the previous tax system made sense considering the consumption was increasing the emissions and therefore there was more fuel burnt. But even with that, gradually I think people saved very little by buying a newer model because of the huge depreciation.

The current flat rate is like the government admitting that only cared about the money that could charge. They already make plans on how to make up a new tax system for charging electricity. Currently the fuel is taxed at 58% and they add 20% to that and the VED. Then you can fly around paying no duty or tax, stange times.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 11:15:44 pm »
In reply to 'But Why's' post, I would suggest you ask your dealer to carry out an Inlet decarbonisation  as the performance has detiorated since the October 2018 recall.
This will be free under Mazda's warranty even though you are past the 3 year mark.  Any parts in the inlet system from the EGR up to the cylinder head ports  will be either cleaned  or replaced. Takes place over 2 days.
The jury is still out on mine, but it looks promising, give it some time and hopefully it will be back to 48 from 44mpg. I would think an Injector relearn would help it now.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire