Author Topic: Mk2 spare wheel options  (Read 4349 times)

Offline AndyCardiff

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Mk2 spare wheel options
« on: February 08, 2021, 01:13:47 pm »
I've just got a 2009 mk2 and I kept the space saver wheel from my old mk1. At the moment the space saver is loose in the boot. It would physically fit in the space with the subwoofer, except for the tool tray doesn't have a big enough gap to fit properly with a spare in there.

I've got two questions, firstly does anyone know if the stud pattern on the Mk1 TS2 16-inch is the same as the stud pattern on the Mk2 Sport 18-inch?

Secondly, is there another version of the tool tray available that will fit over the spare wheel properly?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
Re: Mk2 spare wheel options
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 07:41:50 am »
Yes the stud pattern is the same.

Check this:

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/mazda6/2002/

And this:

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/mazda6/2007/

Both of them come with PCD 5x114.3 and lug nuts M12x1.5

You need to cut the foam from the tray in order to make space for the wheel. Then you fit the wheel and inside the wheel you fit the subwoofer. The other option is to strap the wheel securely in the boot to avoid flying in a case of an accident.

Offline AndyCardiff

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 09:33:28 pm »
Great news on the stud pattern, thanks.

I'm really wary of cutting anything up. There is clearly enough space for the wheel, do you know if Mazda did a different version of the tray that accounts for the wheel?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 07:32:57 am »
How was the first generation set up? Was it spare wheel + carpet or did it also have a similar tool tray?

The tool tray seems like an idea to compensate for the lack of the spare wheel. Look we did not fit a spare wheel but in exchange we sell you boxy space to store things.

So I do not think they bothered making a special tray for the case of a spare wheel. Can you take a photo of the spare wheel with the subwoofer in it? Does it really have space to add the trays?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mazda-6-Tourer-Estate-2012-on-Space-Saver-Spare-Wheel-Kit-With-Tyre-/273312220731

This is the third generation set up. Once you fit the spare wheel, you lose the trays.

Check older posts. They either threw the carpet over the wheel or added a sheet of plywood and raised the floor, but this was mainly for the full size wheel.

Going by the third generation images, I do not think you can come any better with the second generation car. If you fit the wheel, there will be some kind of hole in there and you need to level it for the carpet to sit properly. The easiest way of doing that is cutting the foam  and refitting it.

If you fit the spare wheel, you will never go back in using the foam trays. So cutting it, is not the end of the world. But you can also get one from the local scrappy and experiment with that.

I would start by doing a set up with the spare wheel and the subwoofer, see how that fits and then take it from there. You could contact the local dealer to find out the setup of the spare wheel option, and they should know whether they have a different tray or anything else to sell with that.

Offline AndyCardiff

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 03:33:13 pm »
The 1st gen has a plastic moulded tray that doesn't have a lot of thickness to it. Underneath it had roughly the same size space for a spacesaver wheel and subwoofer as the 2nd gen.

This is the tray for the Gen 1 (bootlid side is at the top):

It's relatively flimsy but it does the job and leaves space underneath.

Here are some shots from my car that show the Gen 2 tool tray:

As you can see there's plenty of space in the well, but the tool tray fits too tightly around the sub for the wheel to fit there.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a word with the dealer and see if there's anything at the scrapyard too.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 07:07:45 am »
Thanks for the photos. I was wondering about the first photo of ebay and here it is, from a first generation car. Also, the photos you have from the tray, I have seen them on ebay and I was also wondering from what car they come from.

Your car has a subwoofer. This means it has a different tray than my car that has no subwoofer. The tray in my car is full of deep spaces like yours have on the side only.

What I meant before is that for the a moment, just put aside the thought of the tray and just remove the subwoofer and fit the spare wheel. If the first and the second generation cars share the same spare wheel, then the subwoofer should fit in the spare wheel.

That is how it is described in the older posts. So once you have done this setup, subwoofer inside the spare wheel, you will be left with a few centimeters of space. This space is the height of the foam tray on its thinnest points.

So my understanding is that you need to cut all the long pieces of the foam and leave the thinner parts of it to sit on top of the combination of spare wheel and subwoofer.

Even then, the thinnest part of the foam may need trimming. So to avoid all this, in most old posts, they bought a wooden flat surface to fit on top of the spare wheel and add the carpet on top of it.

The problem is that if you fit the spare wheel, there will be a hole inside it. So the carpet will drop in. As a result, you need something to support the carpet.

If you have a subwoofer, you need something to act as a barrier between it and the carpet as you can damage it when you load the cargo space with weight.