Author Topic: Electric tailgate switch  (Read 6148 times)

Offline cralst

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Electric tailgate switch
« on: January 18, 2019, 02:01:51 pm »
I have a 2011 Mazda 6 estate. Yesterday I opened the tailgate fine in the morning but in the afternoon it would not open. I then found out the central looking wasn't working either. The key fob is working because I can hear the relay when I press it. There is also power to the doors and tailgate as all the buttons on the exterior handles beep when I press them, as if a door is open, they don't actually lock the car. There are no open door symbols on the dash. I'm thinking that the electric tailgate switch has gone bad but I'm wondering if that would cause an issue with the central locking. I also wonder if anyone has had this problem or have any other theories of what the problem is?

Offline cralst

• S Class
Re: Electric tailgate switch
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 05:29:40 pm »
I've bought a new tailgate switch, not fitted it but I have plugged it in to try it and everything is still the same. I've scanned it and there's a fault registered on the front door but would a fault on the front door stop the tailgate opening switch from working?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:19:54 am »
Is this a normal car with a switch to open the tailgate?

There is a rubber button that you press and it opens 1cm the tailgate. The same function is on the key fob.

This rubber can split and water can get in destroying it.

There must be a safety release from the inside of the boot. Try opening it. Maybe something has been closed in with the tailgate and it is stack.

Check that front door as well. Because everything is interconnected, the problem may not be the tailgate.

As you say that you have two problems, the front door error may cause the lack of central locking and there is something else going on with the tailgate.

Offline cralst

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 05:15:51 pm »
I eventually tracked this locking issue to a fuse. When I first had the problem I phoned mazda for some advice and they told me the central looking didn't have a fuse, it was just a relay which I knew was fine because I could hear it clicking. There is definitely a fuse and it's number 12 in the passenger footwell. In my car it's a double fuse holder that plugs in to the fuse box, 30amp made up of a 20amp and a 10amp. My 10amp had blown but Mazda's original advice had thrown me away from the fuse box. I thought I'd post as this maybe helpful to others.

Offline lukas-tiger6

• S Class
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica (42A)
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 07:15:06 am »
Any one add mod for opening rear boot with the button mazda 2014? Any chance installing electronic tailgate oppener?

Offline lukas-tiger6

• S Class
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica (42A)
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 10:50:57 am »
Did any one installed electric tail gate to mazda 6 estate 2014??