Author Topic: 2.0l diesel mapping  (Read 10474 times)

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
2.0l diesel mapping
« on: February 15, 2012, 09:46:29 am »
I'm currently in two minds about this. Although my car is perfectly fast enough for how i drive, i do find economy is not as good as many rivals,  so I'm looking mainly to improve it.
However, my main concern lies with the dpf fitted. Will the extra fueling lead to a higher chance of the dpf becoming an issue? In other words, will it break if I start changing power, map etc.

If this is a no, would I be better having the car mapped, or are tuning boxes worth the money? Their increases seem a little optimistic, with many promising an extra 30 hp an 70 or so nm. Seems a lot for a plug and play device.

Any thoughts appreciated  :)

Offline andyk3090

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
  • Fuel: LPG
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Re: 2.0l diesel mapping
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 04:09:04 pm »
My son fitted a tuning box to his 150 bhp Vectra and he was very pleased with the difference. Extra BHP was very noticable and around 5 mpg extra on economy

Offline slidey

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:50:32 pm »
I can put your mind at rest regarding any DPF problems and tuning boxes, i've had a Speedhawk Diesel Tuning Box from BHP PLUS fitted to my car for around 15000mls now, no problems what so ever, it still does the DPF burn as usual when the filter needs it, the increase in performance is very noticable when you put your foot down, on light throttle it's like a standard car 8) as for mpg, yes it's better to around the tune of 5-8mpg :)
The only problem with a remap is that it can be erased if your car goes in for a service and there is an update for the ecu.

Dave

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »
thanks for the replies, really appreciated  8)

dave, thanks for putting my mind at rest. Although there shouldnt be any problems with the dpf, we all know how fragile they are, so obviously the last thing i wanted to do was to prematurely ruin it.
i would be more inclined to buying a plug and play tuning box, bit cheaper and can be removed and replaced easily. i know the maps are generic, but most more upmarket boxes are engine specific, so at least the map matches the car.
knowing that the dpf shouldnt be a problem, have you had any problems with the clutch or gearbox? i only do motorway miles so it shouldnt affect mine much (but is why im interested in economy gains)

Offline slidey

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 12:03:28 pm »
Never had any problems with either the clutch or gearbox, the tuning box i'm using has 9 differant settings and it's spent most of it's time on 7, so i think if it was going to give any trouble it would have done so by now.

Dave

Offline paul3071

• S Class
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »
hi im also in 2 minds wether to get my mazda 6 remapped! its only a 2ltr diesel ts and its queit embarrasing when a little car with a 1.1ltr engine can keep up, i would like to get more bhp as cheap as possible is there anything i can do in the engine bay just to get that couple bhp? and its it normal for a diesel to be averaging 25mpg?

thanks paul

Offline andywolfie

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:41:41 pm »
hi im also in 2 minds wether to get my mazda 6 remapped! its only a 2ltr diesel ts and its queit embarrasing when a little car with a 1.1ltr engine can keep up, i would like to get more bhp as cheap as possible is there anything i can do in the engine bay just to get that couple bhp? and its it normal for a diesel to be averaging 25mpg?

thanks paul

I think you may have the odd issue if you are only getting 25mpg and can't lose a 1.1ltr! I have just traded my 2008 2.0d in and got between 38 and 48 mpg depending on town or motorway driving, and always found the car to be quite quick off the mark and a good stable cruiser, I always felt only a quite hefty petrol engined car would compete with performance and economy  ???

Offline m.a.c.

• S Class
    • MAC Sport DVDs
  • Colour: Galaxy Grey (32S) Metallic
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:58:07 pm »
just fitted a racechip tuning box, the power and torque is very noticeable and the fuel has gone up by about 5mpg  :)

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 06:59:38 pm »
had the box fitted for about a week now, still playing with the settings but i did notice a difference in economy on the way to work. have yet to try the higher settings for power but that doesnt interest me as much. will have to see if there is any savings over the coming weeks.

Offline john white

• S Class
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 08:12:06 pm »
Anyone care to mention the make/model of the mapping devices being used here as am interested for my 2003 2ltr diesel TS.

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 09:12:45 pm »
seems the management or one of the sensors doesnt like the extra power. ive been steadily increacing the power (range from 0 to 9) and past 7, the management cuts power when the accelerator is forced into the carpet. dont know if this is anything to do with the fact than mine is the dpf version, but this is obviously the disadvantage of not having the car properly chipped.

but to be fair, the difference between standard and setting 6 on the box is very impressive! economy is also up about 10% too so im not complaining. one main advantage is the turbo now comes in about 200rpm sooner, and makes quite a difference when moving off.

there are a few different one out there. there are ones on ebay that are around £90, and according to the company i bought mine off, they are old models (this particular company had three versions, the cheapest being their old model) so i avoided these.
mine is from chipmydiesel.com, and they gave me a discount for 10% off.
another well known company is dtuk. however, because i wasnt sure i would like the results i didnt want to fork out loads of money.

Offline john white

• S Class
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 03:47:33 pm »
Thanks for that rrobson.

Offline m.a.c.

• S Class
    • MAC Sport DVDs
  • Colour: Galaxy Grey (32S) Metallic
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 07:00:34 pm »
mine is a 'racechip' its designed to fit with the dpf, gives me loads more power, power comes in earlier and about 5-8mpg more, win win as far as Im concerned

http://www.racechip.de/index.php?language=en

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 10:27:24 pm »
seems i definitely cant go past 7 with the box. caused the car to cut out and go into limp mode this morning. not what you want on the way to work, but only took a min to umplug it. car returned to normal after this. companies do say some cars may not be compatible with the higher settings, and it turns out the mazda is one of them.
such a shame because this morning before it cut out, it averaged 4l per 100m over a good few miles. that works out at 112mpg   8)
also seems 5th is more econmical than 6th at 70???