Author Topic: Car wont start, any help appreciated 02 mazda 6 1.8s  (Read 6406 times)

Offline GezzerMax

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2002
Car wont start, any help appreciated 02 mazda 6 1.8s
« on: June 29, 2016, 04:08:01 pm »
Sorry if in the wrong section , Went to work on monday car was fine,headed home at 4.30 pm car running fine short 4 mile trip locked it up for the night.Tuesday morning at 7.30 am the car wouldnt start all lights on dash fine imbolisser light goes off .I done some reasearch and i noticed im not getting the slight hum sound for a few sceonds.Is this a fuel pump failing?I am a car noob but did locate the fuel pump fuse and swaped it over still dont get that hum sound.Got friend to tow me tried to bump start no good, so i pressume the starter motor is ok.I did notice a clicking sound comming from the fuse box in the passenger seat footwell not sure if this has anything to do with the problem.MIlage is approx 115k,i have had the car 3 years now and not a single problem this is my first,the car only does about 5k miles per year and gets serviced every year.Love this car just hope the cost to fix it wont be too much as i would miss it if i had to scrap it.Also gutted it has 11 months mot on it.
Any help well appreciated
Tony

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Car wont start, any help appreciated 02 mazda 6 1.8s
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 04:26:00 pm »
I did notice a clicking sound coming from the fuse box in the passenger seat footwell not sure if this has anything to do with the problem

Given this, my own thoughts are a dying battery.  The clicking sounds are coming from the relays trying to operate, but there is insufficient power from the battery for them to close correctly. 
Do you have any indications from the dashboard when turning the key. i.e do the dial needles swing erratically ?
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 05:41:58 pm »
Yup as Will said it sounds like the battery is on it's way out any dates on battery to give you a clue how old it is ? One other thing to check is the cables going on to the battery connections worth giving them a scrape as they can build up a corrosion on the surfaces over time and i have had it where the starter solonoid only clicks not enough power passing through to turn the starter motor maybe worth a try first  :)
cheers steve stay safe stay lucky  8)

Offline GezzerMax

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 12:38:49 pm »
The battery was ok I think  now it is running flat as I tried too many times to start the car..I also got a tow and tried to bump start it.the needles do swing back and forth now but they didn't before I ran the battery flat....that hum sound I used to get that is now gone?.... It it the fuel pump... Going to try jump leads when I get home if it won't start I can eliminate the battery...seems like a fuel problem but who am I to know ..Thanks for the quick answers cheers

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 05:30:50 pm »
I believe there is a trip switch on the wiring to the fuel pump which cuts out if you get a bang to stop the fire risk might be worth checking that out . Sorry can't help you with where it is in the car though. Someone else might be able to help you with that.
cheers steve 8) PS they can trip out on there own sometimes with just a slight bump did you hit a pothole or large hump ?