Author Topic: White Powder on Dash  (Read 5405 times)

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
White Powder on Dash
« on: June 17, 2016, 11:53:33 am »
Are members aware that certain vin numbers of the  M6 & CX-5 , M3 have a problem with white powder blowing out of the vents from the AC evaporator.
This is caused by excessive flux  during the soldering process.
Mazda will change the evaporator under warranty whilst in warranty.
I don't see any problem with the powder or it having an effect on the operation of the A/C. Once it has all blown through then that is it.
M6 Starting Vin - GJ **** ** 336330, modified October 1 2015.
CX-5                    JMZ KE        459469        "                   " 
M3                       JMZ BM        316296        "                   "

Job takes about 4 hours but allow car an overnight stay. 

Ref. No R113/15A
Recently had mine done.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline ColinB

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
Re: White Powder on Dash
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:44:37 am »
Can we be sure that it will all blow through in time? I'd really prefer not to have my entire dash and steering column dismantled to get at the source of the problem if possible. I do have the problem to a limited degree but it isn't too bad in my case.

There have been problems with the Denso a/c units dating back to 2005 for BMW so you would have thought it would have been fixed by now.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
Re: White Powder on Dash
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 04:04:09 pm »
Ah! ColinB,
You get around  also. Not too much activity on this site is there?
Looking  at the old evaporator  (as you might have seen elsewhere)  I don't think  this flux deposit would have any effect on the operation of the the ac as it is external. As long as when originally fitted the system was flushed  out with nitrogen. Speaking with the Service  Manager he could not give an opinion, though that is par for the course . May be a bit messy until everything  has blown through, but that  is all. It appeared the deposits were much worse for some people, but it is only cosmetic and  a wipe up with a cloth is all that would be required. On the  paperwork from Mazda, Japan there wasn't any mention of any effects of the flux dust, the replacement  is something to be asked for by the owner. So if they are not aware  ( not heard about it on these websites) then the work will not be volunteered by Mazda, unlike a safety or environmental change. 
One advantage to me was a free top up of freon.
 There are  no funny noises from the dash after two motorway journeys  and none on local  potholed roads.

Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire