Author Topic: exhaust fumes in cabin after new exhaust fitted  (Read 4888 times)

Offline donkidonki

• S Class
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
exhaust fumes in cabin after new exhaust fitted
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:53:28 am »
I was wondering if anyone has had any similar issues to this?

I had the mid box and both rear boxes replaced (originals) on my 2006 2.0/petrol TS2 a month ago with a stainless steel system.

Their was an exhaust smell in the cabin after the work was done, but I assumed this was due to some kind of burn-in period for the new exhaust.

A couple of weeks later and the smell was still there (a very difficult thing to be sure of as you quickly stop smelling it, however I was getting burning eyes and irritated throat after long drives).
The fumes appeared to be coming in through the air vents and seemed worse when running the air-con.

Due to being busy with work I have only just taken the car back in to be checked out.

Interestingly, the garage claimed to not find any issues and even said there was no fumes as several of them had taken the car out and had no issue.
Other than inspecting and some basic pressure tests they did no work.

I have only picked the car up this morning and driven a few miles so far, but so far the car seems back to normal. It seems oddly to have fixed itself?

Anyway, I am getting a carbon monoxide meter/logger just to be sure the car is indeed OK (Need to be confident as I have kids).

Time will tell if the issue has permanently cleared up or not.

Has anyone had anything issues at all similar to this?

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: exhaust fumes in cabin after new exhaust fitted
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 12:19:01 pm »
Not lateley as i have not had exhaust fitted for a long time  :) Are you sure it wasn't just the coating burning off the new exhaust rather than fumes from within the exhaust. I used to get that when a new exhaust had been fitted which would eventualy disappear after a couple of days
could be that but best to be safe and check it with your moniter.  ;)
cheers  ;)steve

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
Re: exhaust fumes in cabin after new exhaust fitted
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:43:12 pm »
See if you can get the car up on ramps and chock the back wheels. Run the engine and with the aid of an assistant , have him block the exh  tail pipe whilst you look under  the car at any joints in the exh system , particularly around the flexi on the end of the downpipe for any gas blowing out.
If the car stalls when the exh is blocked it more or less proves there are no leaks, but best to check underneath.

Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire