Author Topic: Mazda 6 MZD Connect and WiFi  (Read 9215 times)

Offline darcyn01

• S Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Mazda 6 MZD Connect and WiFi
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:18:28 am »
Hi

This is my first post on here and I'm hoping that my experience will help others.

I had terrible trouble connecting my phone to the car and it always seemed to be a little hit and miss. After a little bit of experimentation I seemed to have solved the issue (for me at least).

I bought a dedicated Huawei E5330 Mobile Wi-Fi unit from Amazon (£30).
A obtained a Free SIM card from FreedomPop - you get 200Mb, 200 Texts and 200 mins all for FREE. And it supports tethering which is what you are doing, some networks will not allow you to tether and actively stop you from doing it.

I changed the settings on the E5330 so that the channel number was NOT "Auto", but channel 11. I could not do this with my Android phone though. I had to connect it to a PC to do it. I also made the wifi connection "OPEN", without any encryption.

The car connected to the E5330 and worked a treat, but it would not connect automatically.

I deleted all of the previous WiFi connections and connected the E5330 again, so the car was only looking for one hotspot rather than all the others.

I used MAC filtering and the Huawei Wi-Fi App to determine the MAC address for the car, so that only the car (and my phone) could connect to E5330. This means that I do not have to enter a password to connect the car - and it does it automatically.

I hope that this helps, it caused me a lot of frustration! Why they couldn't just add a SIM slot to the car for this I don't know.

Offline tubbs

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Re: Mazda 6 MZD Connect and WiFi
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 11:44:01 am »
Hi

I have a problem with my HTC10 which the system wont remember. I don't have an issue with any of the Sony or LG handsets so I think the problem may with the handset

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Mazda 6 MZD Connect and WiFi
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 08:07:34 am »
Many thanks for the write up and great first post.
I'm sure it will be very helpful to somebody.

Hi

This is my first post on here and I'm hoping that my experience will help others.

I had terrible trouble connecting my phone to the car and it always seemed to be a little hit and miss. After a little bit of experimentation I seemed to have solved the issue (for me at least).

I bought a dedicated Huawei E5330 Mobile Wi-Fi unit from Amazon (£30).
A obtained a Free SIM card from FreedomPop - you get 200Mb, 200 Texts and 200 mins all for FREE. And it supports tethering which is what you are doing, some networks will not allow you to tether and actively stop you from doing it.

I changed the settings on the E5330 so that the channel number was NOT "Auto", but channel 11. I could not do this with my Android phone though. I had to connect it to a PC to do it. I also made the wifi connection "OPEN", without any encryption.

The car connected to the E5330 and worked a treat, but it would not connect automatically.

I deleted all of the previous WiFi connections and connected the E5330 again, so the car was only looking for one hotspot rather than all the others.

I used MAC filtering and the Huawei Wi-Fi App to determine the MAC address for the car, so that only the car (and my phone) could connect to E5330. This means that I do not have to enter a password to connect the car - and it does it automatically.

I hope that this helps, it caused me a lot of frustration! Why they couldn't just add a SIM slot to the car for this I don't know.