Author Topic: Headlights not going off  (Read 6851 times)

Offline Mal001

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
Headlights not going off
« on: April 19, 2016, 04:02:31 pm »
Hi,

As I am new to the forum and Mazda 6 this might be an easy fix. The issue is as follows: My headlights and tail lights come on when the headlight stalk is in the off position. It is as if the off position is mirroring the auto function. They go off when the acc is turned off and the car is locked up. Sidelight functions works as it should. Headlights stalk at on again works ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Marc

Offline the8valver

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
Re: Headlights not going off
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 10:23:17 am »
Hi,

As I am new to the forum and Mazda 6 this might be an easy fix. The issue is as follows: My headlights and tail lights come on when the headlight stalk is in the off position. It is as if the off position is mirroring the auto function. They go off when the acc is turned off and the car is locked up. Sidelight functions works as it should. Headlights stalk at on again works ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mar

Hi Marc,

Just purchased a 2008Mazda 6 Sport and have the same issue, I have also done a little digging and found out that Mazda activated DRL permanently, but also adapted this again in 2009 to make them turn off.
Effectively the auto function is irrelevant in my car.

There is a fix in respect of a relay replacement at a cost (too much in my opinion).
Link here for the full thread.
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=62601

Important bit of thread:
After contacting Mazda technical It was confirmed by Mazda Technician that the running lights on the 2008 sports can be disabled by changing the headlight relay from GS1G67890A to GS1E67890A

The head light relay can be found by removing the glove box,to do this pull the glove box down past the stops and then give a strong pull forward to remove it from the clip on hinge, once out of the way the headlight relay securing bolt can be seen up behind the centre console 10 mm bolt. I found the easiest way to remove the relay was to remove this bolt and then by dropping the relay out together with its bracket below the console where the foot well carpet finishes.

The relay cost me £123 inc vat,If you have a 6 sport with auto light function then the relay you need is GS1E67890A.
 I can confirm that this works and as far as I'm aware is the only way to disable the running lights.The job took 10 minuets, the hardest part was identifying the relay securing bolt.
 If you need any more information just ask and I will post photos.

HTH.

Ally.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Headlights not going off
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 03:14:42 pm »
> the8valver

Please consider that the information you have given, (though possibly valuable) is irrelevant to the original posting as the OP's car is a 2011 model, as shown in his profile sidebar and your solution would have no, or even a detrimental effect.

Also on a inquisitive level, why would you consider disabling the DRL's when it is law to have them operational if they were fitted as OEM ?  Also a MOT failure if inspected and found to be non functional.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.