Author Topic: Rear Dampers  (Read 6528 times)

Offline beezageoff

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
Rear Dampers
« on: October 27, 2011, 09:54:53 pm »
When I took my car in for its third service in July to my local Mazda dealer, I received a report that both rear dampers had an oil mist on them. I was told by the service department that it wasnt bad enough to make a warranty claim on Mazda. Today, three months later, I have taken my car to the same dealer for its first MOT and the pass certificate also state that the rear dampers have a slight misting of oil on them. Again, I queried this with the service department as the warranty runs out in a couple of weeks time. His reply was that if I start to find puddles of oil on my garage floor then I would need to replace them. I emphasised the fact that they had reported that there was a fault in July and that the warranty was due to run out. He said that Mazda would probably sort it out as a 'good will gesture' if it got worse in the near future. Has anyone had any experience of putting in a claim after the warranty period, and if so, what was the result?
Also, as a matter of interest, what would a new pair of rear dampers cost to replace?
Many thanks.

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2007
Re: Rear Dampers
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:17:58 pm »
is the dealer 100% sure the oil is from the dampers? i havent heard of anyone who has had both rear dampers start to leak at the same time. is it possible tht the oil is coming from or has come from somewhere else?
id certainly be having a look myself.

as for cost, they are usually around the £100 for the pair upwards.

Offline Stilje

• TS Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 08:23:27 am »
I had a "goodwill gesture" from Mazda on out of warranty 4x TPMS valves and fitting (that were being replaced under warranty/recall). Their GW gesture was 65% cost of the valves and 0% fitting as they were not fitted by them.
Could have been better but it was preferable to me paying 100% of the cost.

Offline Sapper

• S Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:27:01 am »
I think that I would get a second opinion on the problem before the warranty runs out. Mazda may not agree to an out of warranty repair which will leave you in the dark brown stuff.

Offline beezageoff

• Sport Class
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 08:33:27 am »
Thanks for your responses. As far as a second opinion is concerned, I got that when it was MOT'd. I was surprised to find that my local Mazda dealer dont do their own MOTs but get a local garage to do them. It was the local garage who entered the same fault on the certificate. Mind you, the dealer doesnt have its own auto electrician either as I found to my cost when they installed and wired up a towbar for me. I had to take it back twice as each time, various sockets didnt work and then, to rub salt into the wound, my battery kept going flat. At first, I thought it was a dodgy battery having checked all the connections, but on closer inspection, all it was was the negative terminal hadnt been done up tightly enough!!! ::)

Offline beezageoff

• Sport Class
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 10:05:44 pm »
As a follow up to my original post, I wrote to Mazda recently putting the facts into print. Got a phone call today and was told that the misting was nothing to worry about as it didnt neccessarily mean that there was a bad leak and that it was not uncommon for this to happen on 6's and 5's. My reply was that that was all very well but what happens sometime in the future when I get oil over the garage floor. To their credit, I was told that if that happened in the future (however long the future is!!) then they would consider my claim under their 'good will' policy. So, time will tell!