Author Topic: Creaking when warm?  (Read 8727 times)

Offline AlkieDropout

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2012
Creaking when warm?
« on: August 10, 2018, 03:24:15 pm »
Hello Guys,

I recently purchased a Mazda 6 TS D 2.2l which test drove without issues. The day I drove it home it start to creak from the front end, especially at lower speeds and braking/cornering.
Since I've had it the fault has been intermittently there.

When I bought it, the car came with a 3 month Warranty so last weekend I took it back and luckily it was creaking as I took it back and it also creaked as they parked the car in their garage.

This garage could not find any faults though they do admit there is one so they took it to another garage that had a "wobble board" or something and this second garage again heard the fault but could find no faults. So the garage has since taken it to a third garage, this time however they neither heard or found any faults.

I've since taken the car back under the "let's see if it gets worse and bring it back" scenario.

The only thing I seem to have got from a bit of googling is temperature could be a factor. The day I took it to the garage and the day they took it to garage #2 it was a very hot day but this had cooled by the time they took it to garage #3 .

It did not creak when i picked it up yesterday
It did not creak on the way to work this morning

I'm going on a 150 mile trip tonight so that'll be a good test
Also, it appears to slowly get worse the longer the trip

Bearing in mind I'm useless at cars (i do PCs not cars) are there any pointers / tips / ideas I could give the garage to help them fix it before it gets to the "too late" category. Any ideas?

Offline beezageoff

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
Re: Creaking when warm?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:20:36 pm »
Don't know if this will help or not, but I had a similar problem about 100 years ago. It turned out to be the rubber bushes in the front suspension that had 'dried out'!! I don't even know if these are still fitted to modern cars as this was in the 1970's. When the bushes were replaced, the creaking noise stopped.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 09:29:36 am »
Yes it could be the suspension but also the flexi on the exhaust.

My car does the same when it is driven to extremely dry weather which is very rare. I think it is the exhaust but I am not sure. It may do it on some stops on the trip but not the whole trip.

If the garages are scanning for error codes, that will not lead anywhere. It is more like something that is moving has lost its lubrication. But if they have checked the suspension, exhaust, all the engine/gearbox mounts and it is all good, then you just have to wait until the problem becomes evident.

During the last MOT, the car did not make any noises, but on the previous two MOTs, the noise was there and the MOT centre did not even wrote down any advisory.

Offline Browny_37

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:42:06 am »
If it creaks whilst turning the steering whilst stationary. Its the bottom ball joint.

Which is inverted on and isnt removable on the GH  (unsure on the older and newer 6's though)

Ive had this aweful creak on my old 2009 Sport, my mechanic managed to inject some oil into the ball joint of the noisey side and the noise went away temporarily.

The only way to rectify this for me was a new lower control arm, which aint cheap from Mazda. Pattern parts can be obtained from Euro car parts if desired.

Hope his helps

Offline Sash1

• S Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 10:45:34 am »
I know this is an old thread but I need to change one or both of my control arms for the reason this thread was started. Mazda parts are out of the question price wise and speedy parts want £135 . There are quite a few selling on eBay for around 80 quid. Has anyone ever fitted or had fitted these parts on there cars? If they are any good can someone recommend the place they got them from. Cheers

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 12:34:18 pm »
I think these parts come with different names from different sellers and they also include different things in the box.

Opie oil uses the name control arm that you used as well but it is £700

Car parts for less uses the name suspension arm but want £195. But with a note that this is for the bottom part only.

Have you googled speedy parts? It shows a house. There is a good chance you will get the same ebay quality but with higher price.

Somebody had posted a website for buying cheap brake calipers but I am not 100% what was the name of the company.

It may be this one:

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/

If you add the car details, it has lots of suspension parts and the price seem to be a fraction of what the main sellers advertise.

Offline Sash1

• S Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 08:24:01 am »
Hi. Just had a look at onlinecarparts they have various manufacturers listings on this part so who knows if they are all the same quality or the expensive ones are better than the cheaper ones. They range from 114 quid to 157 quid for the same part. Obviously eBay is still cheaper at 80 quid so I might just have to chance my arm. ( pardon the pun).
I rang speedy parts for a price and 137 quid is what they told me.
As long as they fit as well as the original I’m not bothered about them lasting 100,000 miles. It’s not an easy job lying on your back on the drive so I don’t want to struggle more than necessary. Thanks for the reply

Offline Londoner1

• S Class
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 01:53:24 pm »
Creaking is front lower suspension arm, could be passenger side or driver side, common problem on this car.