Author Topic: Rear Brake Calipers- Mazda 6 2014  (Read 8849 times)

Offline easyal

• S Class
  • Colour: Strato Blue (25E) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-Nav
  • Year: 2013
Rear Brake Calipers- Mazda 6 2014
« on: March 27, 2017, 04:51:10 pm »
Hello all,

Both my rear calipers on a Mazda 6 2013/14 plate have stopped working and in need of replacement. Just found out it's a main dealer item at £515 per side plus VAT!. Unable to source it from Euro Car parts etc. Refurbishment will take at least 2 weeks.

Any alternate ideas please?

Al

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: Rear Brake Calipers- Mazda 6 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:21:28 pm »
Hi i take it you have NO WARRANTY .  If the car has full Mazda service history and unless you have done a HUGE milege i would contact Mazda customer services to see if they will compensate as your car is only 4 years old that's not long to be needing brake calipers already unless they have been damaged. I know it's a bit like after the horse has bolted but now days because parts are so expensive i think there is a huge case for extended warranties. I know they always try to say ware and tear but discs yes but i can't see how you wear calipers out in 4 years. Give them a call it's worth a try to save a few Quids.
Cheers Steve  8)

Offline easyal

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 06:33:36 am »
Hello Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Bought it a year ago from one of those supermarket places but do have a MOT failure insurance and know this is certainly going to be that.
Intend to take it in four weeks early for MOT. When it fails, I'll see if my insurance covers it. If not, will have to bite the bullet. Weird when non Mazda parts for 2013 onwards calipers not being made.

Easy

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 09:47:01 am »
What a price! Did you ask how much extra they want for fitting? £1K for 2 calipers is a lot.

I think you cannot find them as a part from the stores because the calipers are not a brand new spare. You buy the old calipers of another car but they have been refurbished. As not a lot of third generation cars are on the market yet, there are not enough calipers around.

I had mine replaced in the second generation car but still one of them is not perfect and I may have to go for a warranty replacement. Did you ask to remove them and inspect them, propably freeing them and see how that will work out?

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 12:29:38 pm »
What a price! Did you ask how much extra they want for fitting? £1K for 2 calipers is a lot.

I think you cannot find them as a part from the stores because the calipers are not a brand new spare. You buy the old calipers of another car but they have been refurbished. As not a lot of third generation cars are on the market yet, there are not enough calipers around.

I had mine replaced in the second generation car but still one of them is not perfect and I may have to go for a warranty replacement. Did you ask to remove them and inspect them, propably freeing them and see how that will work out?
Hi has it done many miles ? and do you have the service history ? If you have and it hasn't done a lot of miles i would still contact Mazda C/S as they might help. Also if you haven't got the History try taking the VIN number to a main dealer and see if they will check the history for you on the Mazda data base, then you have some thing to work with it's got to be better than paying out that kind of money.
Good Luck Cheers Steve

Offline easyal

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 03:10:21 am »
Apav

Fitting should not take more than an hour (maybe £100). Contacting my local Mazda dealership today for help. I do have the complete service history. Will keep you folks posted. Thanks

Offline easyal

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 03:12:49 am »
SteveM

Mileage is 109k. Bought it at 94k. Will see what happens when I contact local dealership. Fingers and toes crossed and thanks for the best wishes.

Easy

Offline easyal

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 12:26:33 pm »
UPDATE- Calipers

Got a discount after appeal to Mazda. Rear calipers & pads but excluding discs- £645. Just over a £100 for fitting. Think Ill soon send the Mazda on it's way as it's not proving as economical as previous Mazda's I've had. Back to Mercs for me....

Thanks for everyone's help.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 10:57:31 am »
That is expensive parts. Did you figure out why they told you that they needed two weeks to refurbish them? A friend of a friend had a second generation WRX and each calliper was around £800. He had both of them refurbished for £200. If they had the parts in front of them, it should only take a day to do them. Are you going for an E Class car? How does this compare to the 6?

Offline easyal

• S Class
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 10:28:48 am »
Apav

Fitted the brand new calipers onto the car but will now send old ones for refurb to a place in Nottingham for less than £150. That'll take two weeks and I'll place on eBay as it will come with a six month guarantee. Only way I can recoup some of my costs.

Going for an E Class Coupe 2014-16. Plenty at the auctions for probably less than £15k as new models have come out. Still dont know what'll happen to diesels going forward..sob..sob....

Cannot think parts pricing (used sourcing) can be any dearer than the Mazda.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 10:35:04 am »
I got it. I thought you would refurbish them and put them back. Good luck with the ebay sale. Hopefully there is demand for them.

I came from a segment C car to segment D and the difference on the road is impressive. That is why I was thinking that the next step should be up to segment E but I have a soft spot for Outbacks.

Do you buy as a private buyer from the big auctions that advertise full details of the car and grades? Most of the leasing cars should be good buys.

My first car was from a small local auction as a trade in from Arnold Clark. It had been cleaned, got the HPI and the free drive away insurance, plus the huge discount in price. But it was a big question mark and that is why I think that it is only ex-company cars that may be good value for money from the auctions.

For the second car, the small auction house had bankrupt and I went straight to Arnold Clark. It does not feel that there is any difference in the need for repairs and that came as a big surprise. In the auction car I had done the exhaust, brakes and timing belt. The franchise car had the timing belt done, the brakes needed to be done after 1+ year and I expect the exhaust to die sooner or later.

Parts are cheap and if something is expensive, it will not need replacement often. The problem is the labour cost and more importantly the quality of the repair. Big sigh here.

I think diesels will keep being strong for anything from segment D and above. There was an article in Guardian recently about that:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/04/the-car-is-ingrained-into-people-here-west-midlands-faces-air-pollution-crisis

In Birmingham only, there are 200K journeys daily for under a mile distance. That will take longer to un-park and park again than driving the less than one mile distance.

Add to that, the preheating, disabling of the start and stop system, removal of the DPF and the lack of maintenance and then you realise that we shot ourselves in the foot again.

I cannot see how eco-friendly the petrol cars will be, without being hybrids. I am only driving on the weekends and doing something above 1K miles per month. I save 50% in fuel and I feel that I would pollute more with the petrol car that is less efficient.