Author Topic: Juddering brakes  (Read 42062 times)

Offline PTG_Chef_uk

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Re: Juddering brakes
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2015, 10:39:59 pm »
Cheers guys. Shall give it a go tomorrow :)

Offline jonny007

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2010
Re: Juddering brakes
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2015, 04:15:46 pm »
For what its worth I'll join in the discussion as I am experiencing this problem. Hopefully I can assist others & ultimately find a solution to my symptoms  :-\

I bought my 2nd gen 6 (2010) in April from a dealership (none mazda). As part of their pre sales servicing they had put on new front discs & pads. However within ~2500 miles the car gradually developed quite severe brake judder when breaking hardish from 60-40 mph. I took to a local garage who diagnosed seized calipers, warped discs & faulty nearside front wheel bearing. The warranty company (sold with the car from the dealership) didn't want to know. Fair play to the dealer, they took the car in & replaced the discs & pads (again) as well as the bearing. Problem solved & thought, but within a month to judder returned.

Taking matters into my own hands I examined each caliper & freed re-greased each slide pin. Some were pretty gunked up & stiff with dried copper grease. I cleaned & re-lubed with red rubber grease. Also cleaned each front hub where it mates with the disc. Result: no change.

Yesterday I decided to change the rear discs & pads as they were pretty worn/ scored and had developed a grinding noise at low speed breaking. The grinding has gone but I have not yet tested on a fast motorway run. I am convinced the problem is at the front end, so in the meantime I have ordered a dial gauge to test runout on the front discs and hubs. My next step will be to isolate the offending wheel, disc, hub. Then either skim the disc or try shimming. Will update shortly....